LionFish Caught at my old Resort on Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm afraid its too late as they have now been sighted in the Belize Atolls of Turneffe, Glovers Atoll Ambergris Caye and another couple of locations. I dont think there is a way to control the inevitable spread of this non native species.

Gaz

Jeesh...that's no good. No good at all. I don't know a whole lot about them...but I do know that I don't want to meet one. I hear that they can harm indigenous fish too...?

They're lovely creatures to meet and swim with whilst diving, though you don't want to brush up against them. The problem is that they're not indigenous and eat voraciously, and take over from the local species. But I fear trying to stop them now they're becoming established is like trying to push back the tide with a teaspoon.

The lionfish population has exploded in the Atlantic off the coast of Florida and the Bahamas. On a recent trip to the Bahamas, on some dives, I saw dozens of lionfish. I've heard reports of increasing sightings in the Caribbean as well.

This is no small problem --as has been mentioned, these are exotic fish with a voracious appetite and no natural predators in this part of the world. They essentially eat anything smaller than them. Lionfish attain maturity relatively quickly and they are prodigious spawners making the situation even worse.

I don't normally support the mass hunting of any wildlife but this is a problem that governments and NGOs should start working on quickly. It may be too late, but I firmly believe a coordinated eradication program is called for where Lionfish have invaded.

I wrote more extensively about this here: Lionfish Danger if you are interested in reading more about it.

There is one small ray of sunshine: I've heard a couple of reports that Trumpetfish have been seen stalking Lionfish. Apparently the Trumpetfish can get in between the venomous dorsal spines. I have not independently confirmed this nor have I seen any evidence of it first hand. There are also reports of Groupers with the remains of Lionfish in their stomachs, so perhaps some of the native Groupers will get a taste for these critters --but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Frankly, it may be too late but I'm not convinced of that yet.

Jeff

A lion fish was caught at our Marine reserve Hol Chan earlier this week.

A lion fish was caught at our Marine reserve Hol Chan earlier this week.

Oh no.:shocked2:

Thanks for the 411!

So is that pretty much the whole Caribbean/tropical Atlantic now? When I was on the Wind Dancer Grenada-St Vincent run a couple months ago I didn't personally see any, but someone else said they saw one, I think off Bequia.

What I don't get is, how do these things travel like this - aren't they basically reef fish? Are they traveling on currents or into long haul swims?

Back
Top Bottom