LionFish Caught at my old Resort on Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides traveling and multiplying ridiculously quick across the Caribbean, couldn't they introduce a quickly reproducing predator of the lionfish from the pacific into the Atlantic. Your not gonna screw everything else up worse.

Just like with the rabbit issue in Australia, someone (a organization of scientists) needs to introduce a natural predator of that animal, even if it is in an unfamiliar environment.

and finally, to end my rant, :wink: it SHOULD NOT be illegal to massacre these things in the water. Just kill em and leave them for the crabs! Ethically it is not wrong! the only thing stopping divers from killing these things is the law, which arouses the question... from the way we know government "handles" these matters, im sure someone will actually start to think about a solution to your problem in ten to fifteen YEARS!!!

I really enjoy reading these items about how the Lion Fish is going to eat out the whole of the Pacific and Carrib! You say that there are no preditors that eat them, what bull, you have groupers, Eels, Trigger Fish, Stone Fish, and a lot more, also a whole host of other fish which will prey on the young fish! You say that they are predigious eaters, yes they are but they are not so big so they will not clear out the whole reefs! Why dont you just leave them alone and allow nature to cotrol the numbers instead of thinking of ways to kill them!
Have you ever thought that the reason that you do not see so many is because they are already being preyed upon!
Enjoy their beauty and leave them alone!

Belize Fisheries has already applied a bounty of $25 Us for each LionFish bought in dead or alive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom