Lion Fish Under Control In Parque National

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from 3 days of diving. Saw noticeably fewer lionfish while I was there this time compared with even just a few months ago. But, I also saw noticeable less marine life in general -- think the weather just wasn't great for seeing stuff this trip.

We did have two spear hunters on board our last day who took out 12 total over two dives. Just cut them up into pieces wherever they found got them.

That is a shame, they really do taste great. Cut off the three dorsal spines and three belly spines and the feathers do not sting…handle them all you want and make ceviche!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

lionfish_diagram_1_op_650x432.jpg
That is a shame, they really do taste great. Cut off the three dorsal spines and three belly spines and the feathers do not sting…handle them all you want and make ceviche!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Having been on the wrong side of a spine, I remove everything. When I give them a trim there is nothing remaining other than the tail fin.
I was under the impression there 18 chances for a bad day. 13 dorsals, 2 forward pelvic and 3 of the anal have venomous spines. My thinking is when in doubt, cut it out.

Those spine scare me. I took some EMT shears down, but never got up to using them. Maybe I should take some lime juice on the boat and start keeping them.

Makes for great ceviche! Cut them while on the dive versus on the boat... Less chance of getting stuck... Shears will take the spines off easily and less risk of someone else catching a spine when done on shore!

I visited the Keys a few years ago and made a point of hitting all of the top recommended restaurants from Key Largo to Key West and tried their fairs. The one that stands out the most to me was a Deep Fried Lion Fish at Daze Inn in Islamorada.

So hopefully the restaurants in Coz hare making a "killing" on the lion fish, pun intended :)

View attachment 371207
Having been on the wrong side of a spine, I remove everything. When I give them a trim there is nothing remaining other than the tail fin.
I was under the impression there 18 chances for a bad day. 13 dorsals, 2 forward pelvic and 3 of the anal have venomous spines. My thinking is when in doubt, cut it out.
Thanks for the detailed picture, but the only lionfish I want to be that close to are the ones on my plate at La Perlita. :D

Back
Top Bottom