Lion and Wings charge for checked baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that I've always been gouged by Lionair/Wings on excess baggage. I remember one Bali/Kaimana trip that involved 4 segments for which they wanted to charge separately. Total charges were over $300 USD for two of us with 30kg each. And this was when Lionair allowed 15kg free. I might work with a local (Indo) travel agent to see if you can purchase additional kilos of baggage. The website seems to limit you to a single purchase of 30kg per passenger, but I'd bet an agent could buy additional kilos. At least that way you won't be at the mercy of the check in counter agent.
Yikes. I imagine (and hope) since my routing is one 90 minute leg, it won't be as excessive.

I have two bags I need to check and will be about 35-38 kg combined.
If I am dinged for excess, does anyone know the per kilo fee?

You need to purchase that ahead of time to save money. Otherwise you would pay a bundle at the ticketing counter. A couple weeks ago, one of my buddy, who came to Jakarta ahead of me, just paid Rp.2,500,000 ($175) for 20kg excess weight over the 20kg allowance to Batik Air counter at Jakarta Airport. That’s about $9/kg. I wish I knew his plan and I would have advised him about carrying as much as heavy stuff in his carryon bags. They allow you to bring 2 carryon bags and don’t check their weights.

From previous posts in this thread by @outofofficebrb, below:
You can always buy the ticket and then email or chat Nusatrip CS to buy prepaid baggage if you either forget, situations change, or there is no option. I’ve done this twice already.

I bought 30kg for Wings between MOF and LBJ. I want to say it was as much as my flight, about $40. My Batik flight came with 20kg but I paid for an extra 10kg at a steep price of $64. That was prepaid! I guess I'd rather prepay than the risk of getting gouged if they throw me the book.

She prepaid $64 for 10kg or $6.4/kg according to the above quotes.

I once upgraded my economy seat on Lion to Business because the Business seat was only $20 more than they'd wanted to charge me for overweight. It was a huge PITA to accomplish due to language barriers and having to go to different window since couldn't be done at the check in desk. Fortunately, it was a lengthy layover, so gave me something to do.

Hmm, I am unable to pay for extra baggage on line. I did prepay 25k when I bought the ticket but was looking to add 5 kg. Anyone have a workaround for a US credit card on Lion Air?
Is there an office in Manado/ Manado airport where I can prepay for baggage? The flight I need I am on won't depart till mid February.
Or am I stuck dealing with it at check in?

Hmm, I am unable to pay for extra baggage on line. I did prepay 25k when I bought the ticket but was looking to add 5 kg. Anyone have a workaround for a US credit card on Lion Air?
Is there an office in Manado/ Manado airport where I can prepay for baggage? The flight I need I am on won't depart till mid February.
Or am I stuck dealing with it at check in?

I had difficulty doing it online as well unless it was through Nusatrip. As of September, their customer service says you have to show up in person ahead of time at one of their ticket offices or counters at least 6 hours before your trip time to get the pre-paid baggage rate.

Also somewhat related, Mr. OOO is flying Batik from Sorong to Singapore and they include 20kg of baggage. We inquired about adding additional 10kg for that flight and it is about an extra $100 USD. Seems high and not very "pre-paid" - am wondering if it is worth finding out what the extra amount would actually be in person at check in. Worse, you think?

Also somewhat related, Mr. OOO is flying Batik from Sorong to Singapore and they include 20kg of baggage. We inquired about adding additional 10kg for that flight and it is about an extra $100 USD. Seems high and not very "pre-paid" - am wondering if it is worth finding out what the extra amount would actually be in person at check in. Worse, you think?

In this link : Prepaid Baggage there's two links mid-way down ... assuming Lion and Batik charge the same.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom