"lined" 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got three tanks to tumble from our shop. Two were standard 72's; one had a couple of faults. It had a 1/2" neck, and was lined. There were some nasty rust patches showing. My normal tumbling media wont fit in a 1/2" neck unless you drop it in almost 1 piece at a time, so I put in some aluminum oxide "sand" though I had serious doubts it would do anything. I was right, after 2 days no improvement. The only way I'd be satisfied is if the liner was all sanded out, and that's not happening, so I'm comdeming the tank. Even if the visible rust were eliminated, which it wasn't, I'd be uncertain what was under that liner.

Are lined tanks pretty much un-tumble-able?

Chemical strippers will sometimes work, depending on the lining material. Vinyl liners strip fine, epoxy is a coin toss.
Start with an aircraft grade paint stripper, add about 10 lbs of steel "ballcone" tumbeling/burnishing media.
They're still usually more trouble & expense than they're worth, especially when garden gongs are still selling for good bucks. Take a torch to the bottom & grind smooth, weld eye bolt in neck, "antiqued copper green" seems to be the favorite color.

Back
Top Bottom