Line skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me, I went in humble. (And came out even more so.)

:cool2:
Just curious, how did this course which "humbled" you prepare you for full cave, or cave diving in general?

Pulling random and unrealistic failures isn't what makes a good class. While there needs to be a degree of firmness from the instructor, one the student has proven capable if handling failures or emergency situations, I think it's time to move on to teaching them how to cave dive and not how to execute drills. I think your posts are almost implying that a cavern course is just all about beating up a diver. Just my $0.02...

once the student has proven capable of handling failures or emergency situations, I think it's time to move on to teaching them how to cave dive and not how to execute drills.

That is exactly how I approach teaching cave classes.

Gas sharing, finding a lost line, navigating a line in zero vis etc etc are skills that must be mastered, and once mastered should be practiced. During the class, after these skills are mastered it is time to cave dive, its time to learn the "ART" of cave diving, not the "steamroller" procedure of flopping around.

For example how to read and negotiate the cave rather than bulldozing though it.

Just curious, how did this course which "humbled" you prepare you for full cave, or cave diving in general?

Pulling random and unrealistic failures isn't what makes a good class. While there needs to be a degree of firmness from the instructor, one the student has proven capable if handling failures or emergency situations, I think it's time to move on to teaching them how to cave dive and not how to execute drills. I think your posts are almost implying that a cavern course is just all about beating up a diver. Just my $0.02...

You're ASSUMING I'm saying that I was beaten up. Not sure why that is.

I was merely taught how much better I could be at those skills that are critical for cave diving. This was not done by brow-beating me. It was done by teaching me.

I was merely taught how much better I could be at those skills that are critical for cave diving. This was not done by brow-beating me. It was done by teaching me.

Sure, that's the purpose of the course. I don't see how this is humbling though, but rather, the purpose of a cavern class.

But some examples would be helpful.

You're ASSUMING I'm saying that I was beaten up. Not sure why that is.

I've learned nothing about what you were taught from your posts. Just that you were humbled.

I'd say my girlfriend was humbled the first time she went diving and all my cave buddies were there, when she was 1 dive out of open water. But that doesn't mean she learned anything. She learned by isolating a single skill at a time, and then going out and diving without the feeling that I was commenting on her every fin stroke.

I'm just saying it might be helpful if you post a course description rather than just that you were humbled.

I'm just saying it might be helpful if you post a course description rather than just that you were humbled.

Sorry to disappoint. My offhanded comment was just that. If I didn't have actual "work" work to do today I'd get into detail.

:d

Sorry to disappoint. My offhanded comment was just that. If I didn't have actual "work" work to do today I'd get into detail.

:d

Well for an offhand comment, it really wasn't a nice thing to say to the OP, especially as you have not backed it up with any advice or help.

Well for an offhand comment, it really wasn't a nice thing to say to the OP, especially as you have not backed it up with any advice or help.

Well it's ok. My therapist thinks that with further intensive roll-play (killing RJP :D) and a sizeable cheque that I should be just about ok to get back in a paddling pool in the not too distant future. We're thinking around Christmas if we make good progress.

:wink: [the above is a joke btw!!!]

I've no doubt RJP will add some more detail when he has time and that's fine. If his course had some additional challenges so much the better. Be interesting to hear about them.

We've kind of gotten away from line skills though. Thankfully from the many posters I've a lot to work on, and am very grateful for this. I do think that these will benefit me greatly prior to taking the course and I more than happy to be over-prepared.

J

That is exactly how I approach teaching cave classes.

Gas sharing, finding a lost line, navigating a line in zero vis etc etc are skills that must be mastered, and once mastered should be practiced. During the class, after these skills are mastered it is time to cave dive, its time to learn the "ART" of cave diving, not the "steamroller" procedure of flopping around.

For example how to read and negotiate the cave rather than bulldozing though it.

One aspect about both wreck penetration and cave diving that concerns me is my sense of direction. It's naturally piss poor (I'm dynamite with numbers though :)).

How big a deal do you think this might be and any thoughts on steps to mitigate this unfortunate disposition? Or is it just a question of focussing on it more and seeing whether I improve? And what would you consider 'it' - compass work, landmark recognition, counting fin kicks, checking behind as well as in front? Any other things that are useful to keep one's sense of orientation and to feel and read the cave?

Cheers,
J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom