Likes/Dislikes - Aqualung vs. Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - I'm restarting my oft interrupted purchase decision for my first regulator. I will probably buy an Aqualung Legend/Legend LX or Atomic B2/ST1 based on local purchase/service options. It's clear from my reading here on SB and elsewhere that they're great regulators - can't go wrong with any of them. My diving is mostly warm water but occasional diving here in New England during the nice times of the year. I may buy new or used, it will depend on what I find.

I think I understand the mechanical differences - sealed diaphragms versus sealable piston, different maintenance schedules and cost, dealer service network, etc. I find the regulator purchase decision to be a head scratcher, though - here are a bunch of expensive devices that all do ostensibly the same thing, but you can't easily do the one thing you'd like to do which is stick it in your mouth and hop in the water.

So, instead of asking what the differences are (already done lots of reading) I though I'd ask what you like or dislike about these regulators? Breathing, hose routing, location to mount an AI transmitter, mouth piece, bubble flow, I don't know? Since they're all highly competent regulators I'm wondering if there's some way to differentiate them based on what you enjoy/don't enjoy about them. I'm beginning to understand why some of you have a collection...

I am an Atomic fan, since I prefer piston regs.

I like both types, I don’t worry about sealing pistons or diaphragms, if the water is cold enough to matter I’m not going in. I have a lots of shore dives with unsealed pistons and never found any problem with sand etc. if you aren’t into servicing them yourself and don’t mind the expense of shop service either will serve you well. Deep six is a great option if you aren’t locked in on the others.

What sold me on Atomic Regs is two things; streamlined profile of the second stage, interchangeability of the regs (i.e. all the regs are the same functionally - the only difference is material and bling).

Deep six is a great option if you aren’t locked in on the others
I think Deep 6 has a really interesting business model and a great looking regulator and I might give them a try if I change my mind on self service. I'm sure I could learn to service regulators myself but I already have tons of small projects that I don't have the time to do, not sure I want to add regulator service to that list...

If you're only diving the "nice" times in NE sealing won't be necessary.

I like the Atomic 2nd stage swivel, it takes all the pressure off your jaw.
Atomics have a better service interval - 2 years/300 dives. An ST1 has slightly better corrosion resistance than a B2 since the 1st stage is stainless/stainless vs. brass/stainless. Also freeze protection is included, it's optional ($40) on the B2.

Since all their regs breathe the same, save a little and buy a Z2 octo unless you want the letter on both 2nd's to match,

Aqualung requires service or inspection every other year to maintain the Free Parts for Life program.Which is kind of misleading since the service not the parts is the larger part of a reg service bill by far. My Atomic dealer included parts free for the first service since I bought the regs new from him. For really exotic travel, Aqualung has the larger dealer network, Apeks dealers can also get parts for Aqualung.

I don't think you can go wrong with either...

One of the most important considerations for me in choosing Atomic is the "reliability" features built in the design of the system in the first and second stages. I can go 5 years and more and the regulator will be performing like new without any issues. I never had any issues with Atomic regulators and I have lots of them for personal and school's use. The AFC feature in the Atomic second stage is just wonderful. Between the two you mention, I'll pick the Atomic by a very wide margin. For my personal rec. diving, I use the ST1 regulator btw.

I'd choose the Aqualung but then I'm a sealed diaphragm guy. Me and piston regs don't have a good relationship. Sealed diaphragm regs, no muss, no fuss.
Sounds like an interesting story. Worth telling or better forgotten?

Sounds like an interesting story. Worth telling or better forgotten?

Not so interesting I'm afraid. I've owned two new MK25s and a new Atomic Z2. All three gave me trouble right out of the box. I tried to service a MK10 Plus but had so many creeping issues I eventually gave up on it. In comparison I've owned numerous diaphragm regs and have serviced well over 30 I guess, probably more, and not one of them has ever given me any trouble. A small sample of piston regs I'll admit but enough to put me off them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom