lightweight 1st equipment set for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ball-swivel vs. elbow and which angle is an oft-debated topic from what I've seen around here.
I have a 360 on mine. It is a potential failure point but is also more comfortable. I was advised that there are a lot of junk swivels around. The real OmniSwivel is supposed to be a reliable swivel but at $82 each it is a bit steep for me. I was advised by a person I trust on gear, of a swivel that is only $25 and has served them reliably over hundreds of dives. You can buy it from Cave Adventures or Deep 6 Gear:

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I cant find the Deep6 link but maybe @cerich can link it

I view the OmniSwivels as disposable. When you service your reg put new ones on because you can not see the state of the internal O rings. At $25 each I am ok with that.

You guys = ACE!

@-JD-, I heeded your advice and ended up getting the HOG D3 and Classic 2.0 set ($179, brand new). You are correct re: bungee loop. I'll savage my camping kit to find a suitable candidate. Hammock lines should be able to easily handle the weight of everything.

I'll get the ball swivel. @cerich, is the Deep 6 swivel Nitrox ready? I notice elbows are described as "Nitrox ready" or "Ready for EAN xx," but none of the swivels are.

You guys = ACE!

@-JD-, I heeded your advice and ended up getting the HOG D3 and Classic 2.0 set ($179, brand new). You are correct re: bungee loop. I'll savage my camping kit to find a suitable candidate. Hammock lines should be able to easily handle the weight of everything.

I'll get the ball swivel. @cerich, is the Deep 6 swivel Nitrox ready? I notice elbows are described as "Nitrox ready" or "Ready for EAN xx," but none of the swivels are.
Really? How silly to call a second stage elbow nitrox ready. The pressure isn't high enough to matter. No worries with nitrox

@cerich after much debate, now i'm turning towards buying the Deep 6 20lb wing, mostly because of how lightweight and easy to dry it is, relatively. how much does it weigh?

There is NO WAY that 7kg allowance(hand carry) is adequate to cover a complete scuba kit + personal clothing etc.
Airlines should enforce their regulation regarding size and weight of the hand carry.
I do not remember the last time that I could not fit my hand carry under the seat in front of me.

Different airlines have different allowances for carry on weight and dimensions.

There is NO WAY that 7kg allowance(hand carry) is adequate to cover a complete scuba kit + personal clothing etc.
Airlines should enforce their regulation regarding size and weight of the hand carry.
I do not remember the last time that I could not fit my hand carry under the seat in front of me.
I literally only bring one set of clean clothes plus extremely limited toiletries and almost nothing else. I already traveled ultralight before I got into diving (full camping gear for one-six weeks at a time, including food and more clothes). I basically pack nothing but dive gear. Small & heavy stuff can go into pockets if needed. A small bag for regs or electronics can be considered "personal items" and not counted towards the carry-on weight limit. Hell, the harness can be worn like a weird jacket. I actually have done a few month-long camping AND diving trip (only basic dive gear back then, no regs/bc) with only carry-ons. IMO we should all try to fly with only carry-ons, but I understand in the scuba world this is nearly impossible...

The solution is very simple: pay for it.
I would rather pay than stuffing unnecessary items in my pocket with the exception of cash, passport and boarding pass.

Different airlines have different allowances for carry on weight and dimensions.
Do you know any airlines in SE Asia offer over 7kg for cattle class? BTW, most budget airlines in this part of the world only has one "class" to offer.

It is certainly more comfortable for many people to just check their luggage. For me, it's about trying to travel as light as possible, as well as not having to worry about lost luggage or other travel complications. I usually travel very budget, so even a connecting flight can be a problem as it might be on a separated booking. For example, to fly to anywhere in Borneo or Indonesia to dive, I usually fly Air Asia via KUL. Air Asia does not offer fly-through tickets for all of my intended destinations. With checked luggage, I'd have to exit "air" side, enter Malaysia, pick up luggage, check in again, go through immigration, etc. Without checked luggage, I stay on air side, go straight from my arrival gate to departure gate to transit. There's also the risk of delayed luggage, etc. Not worth the risk. Stuff your pockets.

Back
Top Bottom