lightweight 1st equipment set for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After five years of diving and resisting the urge to shop, I'm finally working on my first full set of equipment. Would love any advice! Some of the things here I've owned and dived with, some are recent purchases, and some I plan to buy soon since I've found good deals or low prices for them. Anything else I should add to my kit? Anything I should swap out?

About me: I'm a petite Asian woman, 5'3", 115lbs. I have decent buoyancy and use 1-2kg lead in a 3mm wetsuit. I only dive single-tank in Southeast Asia. I travel carry-on only, so everything must be ultra-light and tiny. I fly to other countries in SEA to dive, and tend to do one week of multi-dive days each time. I plan to do my DMT in Tulum next year. Have some vague interest in going deeper, maybe taking a deco procedure course in the future.

------------------
Personal:
  • Mask: Cressi's Focus and Apollo's Bio-metal, one for spare, both with prescription lenses
  • Fins: Gull's Super Mew XX (they are neither light nor small... and they will remain the ONLY compromise! - ok if I'm being honest, my legs love them (when I'm diving) but my back hates them (when I'm carrying them in my backpack))
  • Computer: Suunto Zoop Novo
Exposures:
  • Wetsuit - <28*C: Probe's iDry semi-dry 5mm
  • Wetsuit - >29*C: Billabong 2mm surf suit
  • Hood: Probe's Frogskin
  • Boots: Probe's iDry 5mm
  • Gloves: Gull Spring gloves
Regs:
  • 1st stage: HOG D3 yoke
  • primary 2nd stage: HOG Classic 2.0 (thanks, -JD-!)
  • 90* or 110* elbow, or 360* swivel for 2nd stage
  • octo: Tusa Duo Air (I know, I know, most of you hate it, I know. but I also know I'll hate the weight more than anything if I go with a traditional octo setup)
  • gauge: HOG, w/ 22-24" hp hose (or should I go for a different length?)
BC:
  • Softpack w/ Harness: OMS IQ Lite
  • Wing: VDX Argonaut 18lb
  • Tank straps: debating between getting two with quick release buckles or one regular camband (upper strap) and one quick release buckle (lower strap), all stainless steel buckles
Safety:

Am I missing anything?

Regs:
Do you really want your primary reg to be a dedicated-Octo style, especially with that much cantilever in the hose? That Octo seems designed to ease the hose-routing when donated, it strikes me as being uncomfortable at best to use for the "owner". Something like a HOG Classic or Zenith (assuming you might want to stick with HOG 2nd stages) gives you a well-regarded 2nd that has a dive/surface venturi lever and a user adjustable cracking pressure knob. Yellow purge covers are available for both and HOG/Edge (and others) sell hose-mounted magnetic keepers if that factors into your thinking. I use a HOG D3 with a Zenith on a 40" hose and 110deg. elbow (restrained with the HOG/Edge magnetic keeper, without the silicone insert so it slides) in a primary-donate configuration.

BC:
Personal preference, but I use 2 of the separable, QR cambands and added a positioning loop to hang the BC on the tank. I'm using old ScubaPro ones (the new ones are better), the AquaLung ones in your other thread look really nice (but pricey). Worked great on my IQ Pack and now my Freedom Plate. There is still a little lifting to get the positioning strap over the valve, but not nearly as much as with even an upper continuous-camband, and tank position is perfectly repeatable with no futzing. Most of my diving is at a local quarry, so my rig is usually carrying enough lead for a 7mm or drysuit, and we typically set up on a table; lifting high is just awkward.

Safety:
66' on a spool might be a bit short if you need to shoot it from even moderately deep with current. I am considering either the Divesoft Emergency Spool (90 m Dyneema) | Dive Gear Express® or DIYing it and getting a minispool and some Dyneema-type line for emergencies. I'll also keep a smallish spool with heavy line (for easier handling) bundled with a DSMB for routine use like drift diving ...

Signal Mirror and, please consider, PLB w/housing and Nautilus Marine GPS Radio - see PLBs Can Save Your Life and Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update to start.

Great advice! I like your reg set up and will think about adding the elbow. I can take either the 90*, 110*, or 360*. Should I go for the 360*, or is the moving part just one more thing asking to go wrong?
(omg the Scubapro one is literally 10 times more expensive than the OEM I'm buying!!!)

And good catch re: the reg. I didn't realize. I thought I wanted a 1st stage I don't have to worry about direction. I'll probably go with either the HOG Classic 2.0 or Zenith then. Any difference between the two? Where I can buy it, the Classic 2.0 is bout 17% cheaper than the Zenith.
--> I did some more reading, and it seems they are essentially the same. I prefer the look of the Classic 2.0 and it's cheaper, so there we go :wink:

I also initially wanted to set up my tank straps situation like you, but I kept seeing people saying I need an upper (regular) camband to stabilize the bc while on a boat. well if two QR + a loop work for you, I'll go with that.

I already have heavyduty lines from my camping set, to set up my hammock. I can bring maybe 15-20m more just in case. I also dive with my son's old stuffed animal/chew toy, which includes an attached baby mirror. And I plan to put reflective tape on the DSMB. Nautilus and the likes aren't too effective here, unfortunately, either due to coverage or human errrors.

Piranha Dive has very good prices on spools w line and swivel. I carry this one. You will need to take some line off as they are overfilled.. Comes with a swivel to try and help with line twist.

100ft Anodized Aluminum Finger Spool w/ Orange Line & line swivel!
That's very good price!

I'm looking at this one - OTG Dive (found the 100" version, for only 70 cent more ^^). Not sure how I feel about the whole handle thing, but I'm terrified of the finger spool, always scared I'd lose my finger in it, that was back when I thought all DSMB were open-ended. With the sealed one I'm buying, which has the blow valve for oral inflation, I'm not scared of the dsmb shooting up with the spool with my finger in it. In any case, I think at least the handle can help me not be anxious about losing the spool?

About the hp hose, I wanted to clip the gauge to a D-ring around my left hip, and I measured the distance to be around 28-29.5 inch. Two other possibilities are my left rib cage and my left chest, which means just under 23 inches. Where do you clip your SPG? I would love a shorter hose tbh. Maybe I can get away with 22"...

That's very good price!

I'm looking at this one - OTG Dive (found the 100" version, for only 70 cent more ^^). Not sure how I feel about the whole handle thing, but I'm terrified of the finger spool, always scared I'd lose my finger in it, that was back when I thought all DSMB were open-ended. With the sealed one I'm buying, which has the blow valve for oral inflation, I'm not scared of the dsmb shooting up with the spool with my finger in it. In any case, I think at least the handle can help me not be anxious about losing the spool?

About the hp hose, I wanted to clip the gauge to a D-ring around my left hip, and I measured the distance to be around 28-29.5 inch. Two other possibilities are my left rib cage and my left chest, which means just under 23 inches. Where do you clip your SPG? I would love a shorter hose tbh. Maybe I can get away with 22"...
The first picture in this post shows my setup. I clip off under my arm to my chest d ring. It is kind of hard to see but it sticks out about 4-5 inches so I can glance down and see it. It is also long enough to clip off to my left waist d ring

Proud dad of my new dive buddy!

Awesome! I love your Deep 6 set. Also congrats to your daughter! Such an amazing experience. I can't wait to take my mini-me to the water. He's 9 now. One more year to go!

Regs:
Personal preference, but I use 2 of the separable, QR cambands and added a positioning loop to hang the BC on the tank. I'm using old ScubaPro ones (the new ones are better), the AquaLung ones in your other thread look really nice (but pricey). Worked great on my IQ Pack and now my Freedom Plate. There is still a little lifting to get the positioning strap over the valve, but not nearly as much as with even an upper continuous-camband, and tank position is perfectly repeatable with no futzing. Most of my diving is at a local quarry, so my rig is usually carrying enough lead for a 7mm or drysuit, and we typically set up on a table; lifting high is just awkward.

So I'm wondering, if I don't make it a completely closed loop, but rather a bungee with a clip or hook at one end and another smaller loop to clip/hook to, that would completely eliminate lifting the BC at all, ever. you'd just have to pull the bungee around the tank valve "neck,' clip/hook it, then you're secured, next step is just the two QR cambands.

Great advice! I like your reg set up and will think about adding the elbow. I can take either the 90*, 110*, or 360*. Should I go for the 360*, or is the moving part just one more thing asking to go wrong?
(omg the Scubapro one is literally 10 times more expensive than the OEM I'm buying!!!)

And good catch re: the reg. I didn't realize. I thought I wanted a 1st stage I don't have to worry about direction. I'll probably go with either the HOG Classic 2.0 or Zenith then. Any difference between the two? Where I can buy it, the Classic 2.0 is bout 17% cheaper than the Zenith.
--> I did some more reading, and it seems they are essentially the same. I prefer the look of the Classic 2.0 and it's cheaper, so there we go :wink:

I also initially wanted to set up my tank straps situation like you, but I kept seeing people saying I need an upper (regular) camband to stabilize the bc while on a boat. well if two QR + a loop work for you, I'll go with that.

I already have heavyduty lines from my camping set, to set up my hammock. I can bring maybe 15-20m more just in case. I also dive with my son's old stuffed animal/chew toy, which includes an attached baby mirror. And I plan to put reflective tape on the DSMB. Nautilus and the likes aren't too effective here, unfortunately, either due to coverage or human errrors.

The ball-swivel vs. elbow and which angle is an oft-debated topic from what I've seen around here. I have not tried the ball-swivels; some have had issues with the ball-swivel types loosening up and leaking (possibly improper re-assembly) but I can also see how it would provide for a better range of motion. I started out with the $10 DGX 90 (DGX 90 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F | Dive Gear Express®) and also bought their $10 70/110 (DGX 70 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F | Dive Gear Express®) but stumbled onto a couple new or mint OmniSwivel 110/70s for $5ea. and am running that currently. If you are ordering anything from DGX, for $20, I'd buy one of each, run the one you prefer and keep the other in the SAD-kit. At those prices, forget service - just replace.

Yep, ScubaPro stuff tends to be expensive.

From my understanding, the HOG Classic/Zeniths are just cosmetically different at this point and use the same service kits, but may use different diaphragms under the purge cover. I've bought my HOG stuff Pre-owned-New privately or from Scuba Gear at Divers-Supply 40 years in business!. Diver Supply occasionally runs specials on sets - I bough my original set with a D1-sealed, Zenith, Classic (full, not the "Octo version) , and 3-gauge console with hoses for about $375.

Do you have the Yoke-D2 already? If not there may be some other good options that depend on what service avenues are available to you.

Piranha Dive has very good prices on spools w line and swivel. I carry this one. You will need to take some line off as they are overfilled.. Comes with a swivel to try and help with line twist.

100ft Anodized Aluminum Finger Spool w/ Orange Line & line swivel!
Nice spools. Be sure to fully unspool and TIGHTLY re-wrap at least the starting several layers. Mine was tied, properly, but loosely wrapped from the factory, and when I shot a bag on it the first time (aprox 20') the the line just spun on the hub so I had to brake it by holding the line, rather than the sides of the spool.

So I'm wondering, if I don't make it a completely closed loop, but rather a bungee with a clip or hook at one end and another smaller loop to clip/hook to, that would completely eliminate lifting the BC at all, ever. you'd just have to pull the bungee around the tank valve "neck,' clip/hook it, then you're secured, next step is just the two QR cambands.
I'm using one with 3/4" webbing and a lace-through adjustable buckle; the type used for securing a camping pad or the like. You could certainly use one with a 2-piece adjustable QR buckle - it is just a little bulkier. The downside is you are trying to hold the BC up while clipping the buckle - My BC is not as long as my tank, so I'm short at least one hand to accomplish that while lifting 20+ lbs of weighted BC. I would not use bungee as it is going to make things less repeatable for positioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom