Lights in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A question for all the Coz. vets. What lights do you dive with in Coz.? I have a UK C-4 led and the mini Q-40 led lights. With great vis such as Coz. has is there much use for lights? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Daxter:
A question for all the Coz. vets. What lights do you dive with in Coz.? I have a UK C-4 led and the mini Q-40 led lights. With great vis such as Coz. has is there much use for lights? Thanks in advance.

Tom

I take a light on every dive around Cozumel. In daytime I take my UK (I don't know the number, but it takes 4 D cells) for swimthroughs and peering into hidey-holes, and at night I take something smaller (but with the UK as backup).

Oh, and a plug for UK - last trip I got the O ring misaligned and flooded it. The batteries broke open and turned the water that got in it (about half full) completely black and opaque. What a mess! I opened it up right after we came up and dumped the batteries, and that night in the hotel room, I washed it out with shampoo, wiped everything down, and sprayed it with WD-40 (I never leave home without WD-40 and duct tape). The next morning I put fresh batteries in it and voila!, it works again!

Thanks Gordon, I will plan on bringing at least the C-4 down to Coz with me.

Daxter:

Tom

I always keep my little Q40 in my BC pocket. It's come in handy a few times even in Coz during daylight... mostly when looking inside all the little nooks and crannies in the reef. Other than that, it also came in handy when my mighty Light Canon decided to shut off half way through a night dive in Bonaire (never did figure that one out.... it worked fine later). I guess I like the feeling of knowing that I just need to reach in the left pocket of my BC, and always have a light handy.

Daxter:

Tom

I used the LED C4 on a night dive last week in Cozumel and the Q-40 LED during the day. Both worked great for their purpose. I thought that the LED C4 was great for its size. I have a C8 that the LED light head fits into but it wasn't really needed on a one hour dive, the voltage held up on the 4 cell version. I love their wonderful WHITE light.

Thanks all, I guess they both will be included in the baggage to be brought down. 40 days, way to long to be thinking this much about the trip already.
Tom

I have a small pelican light I take on every dive, day or night, when I do night dives I use whatever the dive op has to rent, I've actually never paid any attention to brand or models.

I used to use a Q40 (2.1W halogen bulb) for looking into holes and under ledges, but found that in bright clear waters like Cozumel or Maui, that the it wasn't bright enough compared to the brightly lit coral surrounding the holes.

I upgraded to the Ikelite PCa 6AA light. A small light with a very bright 7.2 watt bulb.

The PCa goes with me on all dives -- both for looking in holes and under ledges, and also as a basic piece of surface safety signalling gear. It works fine as a primary light for night dives too.

I've used NiMH AA cells without problems for many dives, but IIRC, somebody else posted that they did have a problem. YMMV.

Charlie Allen

I buddy with a gadget freak, so some of that has rubbed off on me. Also I learned to dive in Monterey so I take a light on virtually every dive.

In Cozumel (etc) I usually bring a C4 pistol style (eLed now) clipped to a D-ring and a mini light in my pocket. (for a night dive I bring three lights - but remember, Its Not A Competition!)

I have always been a believer in the philosophy that "It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!" Even in the clear waters of Cozumel, the colors are crisper when lit up with a good light. As you descend the colors tend to fade and your eyes don't always even notice at first. That pretty Splendid Toadfish is even more splendid when bathed in light. The critters that congregate under coral heads and beneath outcroppings and overhangs jump to life in the dancing beam of my light. (such imagery!)

However, since not everyone is as nutty as I am, I would say that at a minimum, you should bring a light that doesn't encumber you on every daytime dive, and a good dive light and back up on every twilight or night dive. It doesn't have to be an HID or a Light Cannon or a C8, but you want something that is up to the task. (remember that night diving training usually says that if you are down to only one light it is time to end the dive - that's why I bring 3!)

Wristshot
INAC Charter Member

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom