Lighting Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As a newbie to photography/videography and GoPro, I am beginning to feel the thrill. Considering cheaper alternative lightings as attached (Auctiva) to have better results on night dives:

Underwater Waterproof Video Light Lighting System for Go Pro GoPro Hero 2 3 HD | eBay

But are these lights sufficient for night dives? How about the cons?

I am not the "handy-man" type and would prefer to buy "off-the-shelf" or online instead of messing things up.

Any cheaper alternative suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Auctiva.jpg
    Auctiva.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 513
220 lumens each would probably be ok for your eyes but is a bit low for the GoPro, IMHO.

I Agree with 3D diver. To little light for Gopro.

This looks promising : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/White-Red-CREE-LED-1400-lm-LED-Diving-light-Divingde-Diving-suit-Diving-dress-Divingdress-Divingsuit/913156_667868956.html

You have about the same light as Sola1200, but wider angle. Will get 2 for the price of less than 1 Sola1200.
There is a small test from user Mantra on the forum here.

The tray is a Intova Slim with an extension for the additional flex arm - those are the short version of the flex arms. You can buy the same parts to make one with twice as long flex arms (30cm) for about ~$105.

Thanks for all the advice. How about L800 from La Luz optics (?) or Itorch pro 2+ ($225), it comes with the torch adaptor to fit the flexi arms? btw, are these flexi arms able to attach to the SRP handle with tray I have almost decided on buying? Hope I won't miss out any other parts needed to complete the lightings set.

Someone from another forum want to sell his 5 months old Sola 1200, what should be a good deal? $300 maybe?
Laluz.jpgItorch pro2.jpgtray-with-gp.jpgFA18-and-FA30.jpg

I have a friend with two La Luz L800's & they're nice.

... are these flexi arms able to attach to the SRP handle with tray I have almost decided on buying?

The Intova flexi arms will not fit on the SRP tray. They do not come with a torch holder, you will need to get one depending on what light you are using.

For the SRP tray you can buy Loc-Line parts and make your own. To make your own, you will need 1 pair of Loc-Line hoses (1/2" if your lights are smaller like LaLuz, 3/4" if they are heavier SOLA/i-Torch Video) and one pair of the matching diameter fixed mount, two screws, washers and bolts. Depending on how your light attaches, you might need another pair of fixed mount and to attach that a pair of the double socket adapter. Or... forget all this and get theirs, it just costs more.

Agree with Toozler, those arms won't fit, OP said they aren't the DIY type so you probably lost them at washers and bolts lol. The SRP tray and locline is made for the Sola lights. Light and Motion also make their own smaller cheaper tray with the same arms. If you are set on the SRP tray then get your friends 1200 and also another one even if its later, $300 sounds cheap. Two 1200s on either tray would be a very nice setup.

Thanks! Looks like I have got the deal. No other thoughts now, just order the SRP tray and arms then it is complete with all the necessary screws and bolts ... no more hassle.

But what is lacking on the SRP tray it does not come with the tripod mount, this I would have to order the aluminum set from Ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom