Two Smaller Lights or One Big Light for GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat_kid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black which I dive with and take video (very amateur video). I currently use a red light filter from backscatter and no artificial light. However, I would like to buy a tray and some lights to enhance the color in the videos.

I keep reading that it is wise to "buy as many lumens as you can afford". For about the same price, I could buy two 2600 lumen lights or one 8000 lumen light. All lights have 120 degree angle. If we are just talking power output, it seems like I would be better off to buy the single, larger light. But, would I be better off having two, lower powered lights? Would this be better with backscatter, shadows, light positioning, covering the wide angle of the GoPro, etc? Or would I be better of with more power from a single light?

I am not looking for anything incredible or even remotely professional for results. Just looking to get a little better footage of the cool things I see on dives.

Thank you in advance for advice! The community here has been incredibly helpful!

Nolan G

two things.

Lumens are not always lumens. Do the math, because companies like Big Blue do not actually do what they say they do so you have to be extremely careful when comparing a light from say Light and Motion who provides real lumen output vs. Big Blue who provides a theoretical lumen output. Basically anything Big Blue says, cut it in half if you're comparing it to someone like UWLD, Light and Motion, etc. You can do the math yourself and there are plenty of posts where I've done it for these lights along with comparisons.

2 small lights will be better for backscatter, shadows, and the full FoV. None of these lights will provide adequate output for filming during the day for subjects that are more than a few feet from the camera, but for smaller critters and coral they will be best. Make sure to get arms that are long enough to make sure you aren't getting hot spots or backscatter on the sensor.

Thank you tbone1004. Funny to hear from you since I was reading some of your other posts earlier today. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

...2 small lights will be better for backscatter, shadows, and the full FoV. None of these lights will provide adequate output for filming during the day for subjects that are more than a few feet from the camera, but for smaller critters and coral they will be best. Make sure to get arms that are long enough to make sure you aren't getting hot spots or backscatter on the sensor.
This! 👆 Realizing you aren't a "pro" videographer (not many of us are, LOL), I still think you want your vids to look good if you're going to spend the money, right? :) Two lights are better for illumination, shadowing (yes, you want to create some shadows to make your subject "pop"), and coverage. Long enough arms to ensure that in most cases your light faces are slightly behind your camera lens. This will aid in reducing backscatter etc. I shoot with a Hero 7 Black as well. After getting decent lights (SeaLife Sea Dragon 3000s), I find that I almost never shoot with a filter any more and go with natural light when shallow enough or video lights. Also, with GoPros, get close....then get closer! :) 1080/60fps, wide, protune on, stabilization on..... Have fun!

Take a look to Nitescuba NSV60 video lights, 6000 lumens and good price... I preffer two lights than one.

337255945-550209730342663-9153164336690811106-n.jpg

I would also recommend two smaller lights. I've made some nice videos with my GoPro Hero 7. Great little camera. Just upgraded to a Hero 13, but can't quite bring myself to sell the Hero 7.

I would also recommend two smaller lights. I've made some nice videos with my GoPro Hero 7. Great little camera. Just upgraded to a Hero 13, but can't quite bring myself to sell the Hero 7.
We have differents GoPro setups on AbyssTek, this is the "pro" one. We have a little one with Wurkkos lights for travelling.

1.jpg

Here's my GoPro Hero 7 setup. 3k lumen Sea Life Sea Dragon lights, Flip macro, and a Flip red lens that I mostly use as a lens protector now cuz it's scratched to hell. LOL!
GoPro Rig.jpg
GoPro Rig.2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom