Lightest BP/W + Regulator setup (warm water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20190323_135041.jpg
20190323_135026.jpg
20190323_134950.jpg
20190323_134941.jpg

Well poopie. Guess ill just tinker, learn, and rebuild the reg and play in the bathtub :)

What do you guys think about miflex hoses? They are lighter and stronger?

Im looking lightest SPG option. I read about highland spg. What are my options? I figure Brass and glass ia always going to be heavier. Is electronic computer lighter?

What about a small depth guage? Ill be diving rec in cozumel so thats not thaaaat important right now but good to know.

Thanks for info guys

Opinions on the flex hoses will vary. They are ligter and flexible. I see no real disadvantage to them in a rec setup.

My preference is to use an spg and always have an analog depth gauge. However, an AI computer may meet your needs quite well. The AI transmitter eliminates a hose, is small and is light weight. The computer then provides depth and pressure as well as NDL data.

Based on my research for hard plates the Halcyon carbon fiber back plates are the lightest at 0.5-1lbs with dog bone Oxycheq or Golem Gear travel BP coming in around 2lbs.
If the dog bone oxycheq is really 2lb, then it isn't light at sll. A halcyon AL plate in regular size , and justaybe any AL plate is about1.7lb. I weighted mine. Halcyon CF is exactly 1lb.

For regulators, the first stage weight difference between an atomic titanium (15.2oz) and brass (1lb-6.4oz) is about 7oz. 2nd stage weight difference is about 1.5oz. one complete set save your about 1/2lb out of maybe 5lb (1st + 2x 2nd + SPG + hoses). And CF plate save you 0.7lb over AL. I wonder weight saving is really a good reason to exotic material.

I got the OMS DIR bcd and it served me well, fully customisable so I can use it with a 3 mil or a drysuit, also the whole harness is super durable and you could change the wings in case you are carrying stages or have tons of gear. it is a bp/w setup so everything's replaceable

I’ll eat my hat if anyone has broken a properly mounted standard aluminum plate from diving doubles that are too heavy.
The dive rite xt lite is the lightest stainless plate I believe. Gives you the weight of an alum plate for travel but the strength of stainless for your cold water or double tank etc diving.

Dive Rite XT Lite SS Backplate

The dive rite xt lite is the lightest stainless plate I believe. Gives you the weight of an alum plate for travel but the strength of stainless for your cold water or double tank etc diving.

Dive Rite XT Lite SS Backplate

The use of stainless steel is not for strength at all. It is for it's weight. In fact, plastic or kydex backplate is plenty eough string for double. Unless the XT lite plate is cheaper than AL, I just don't see a logical reason .

The use of stainless steel is not for strength at all. It is for it's weight. In fact, plastic or kydex backplate is plenty eough string for double. Unless the XT lite plate is cheaper than AL, I just don't see a logical reason .

Quoted from dive rite

“Offering the strength of stainless steel, with the lighter weight of aluminum, the Dive Rite XT Lite Backplate is constructed of 16 gauge 316 L grade stainless steel, a low carbon and rust resistant grade. The { 2.9 lb | 1.3 kg } XT Lite backplate has a matte finish. The slightly thinner gauge and a series of cutouts along the body of the plate reduce it's weight while maintaining support for even the heaviest of double cylinder configurations. All edges are laser cut and individually finished by hand. The XT Lite and regular stainless steel backplates are exactly the same shape and size, approximately { 15.5 in | 39.4 cm } high and { 10.5 in | 26.7 cm } wide at the base, { 9 in | 22.9 cm } wide at the top before the corner curve. The depth of the "V" is { 1.25 in | 3.2 cm }, allowing for a flatter fit against the back.”

I didn’t make the claim. Just reporting what they say it’s for. It’s still one of the lightest SS plates on the market. At $109 it’s not overly priced compared to most other top brand alum plates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom