Lightest BP/W + Regulator setup (warm water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im on the search for the lightest BP/W setup for carry-on I can build/purchase that will be for Cozumel single tank dives with half wetsuit rash guard. I am a light packer. I use a 35L pack with my DSLR and 17-55mm lens and still have room for souvenirs. This is with my Supernova Fins/boots/mast/snorkel bungeed on the outside I came back from a dive in Cozumel and I used 5lb with, I believe, a 3mm wetsuit and AL80 tank. I am 220lb, mostly muscle with a top layer of fat. I couldn’t say if I was overweight or not but I had no issues under water or floating above.

Ive been reading around the forum and have found some talk about the xDEEP Gost, Halcyon Traveler BC, OXYCHEQ Ultra Light, Kydex, and the one that intrigues me most is the commercial setup, which I cannot find info on anywhere.

I’m also searching for the lightest regulator. Preferably a Titanium primary since I live in Northeast and coldwater diving possible in the future.

QUESTIONS:

Single Tank Adapters (STA). How would you know which BP needs one and doesn’t? Is it more of a preference to secure the tank to the plate to reduce movement?

What do you guys think about the breathable power inflator 2in1? Are they a tried and true piece of equipment? Id image it will help save some weight for carry-on

Thanks for input everyone

I have the xdeep ghost and confirm that it's very light, about 5lbs and would be pretty easy to pack. It's very comfy (I have the deluxe version). It comes ready to strap onto a tank.
If you do a search here on SB, you'll find posts with reviews on it and I posted a video with my 1st dive using it before I made any adjustments.

sta is required for wings that do not have cam band slots. not needed for ones that have integrated roll control, optional for those that have slots but no roll control. you can get a soft sta that doesn't add much weight.

OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter

lightest setup would be a small tropical wing, aluminum hardware, and a soft fabric plate. the ghost would be a better setup if the wing was smaller. the 35lb wing is just large and floppy for tropical diving.

titanium first stage with some plastic 2nds like the s555.

I know a lot of vacation divers who like the AquaLung Mikron reg.

Ta da!
OxyCheq Ultra-Lite Travel Package

I have a new Dive Rite Short Basic harness that would work for a small person if you want it. The rings are lower-profile and a little lighter gauge than standard rings. That could save a little weight, as well. Plus, you probably wouldn't even need both hip rings for recreational diving. I don't really have a use for it so just pay me shipping and it's yours.

Short Basic Harness

lightest might be the Atomic Aquatics T3 - it's 28.8 oz - also $1749. Atomic T3 Regulator

The Mikron is likely next at 31oz. (yoke)
Aqua Lung 2018 Mikron Regulator - it's $529
There might be a newer model but Aqualung's website gives me a headache. (light grey on white)
or
Scubapro Scubapro MK25T EVO/S620 Ti - 32.2 oz. $2266.

Or Cressi at 31.8 oz -
Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC9 Regulator - $289.
Thermosplastic shell instead of metal to get the weight down

DIN versions are typically 4-5 oz. lighter also.

I fly with an Atomic T2 and a set of mini-gauges - it packs well in my carry-on in the top lid in the space meant for suits. I use a TravelPro roller bag.

Based on my research for hard plates the Halcyon carbon fiber back plates are the lightest at 0.5-1lbs with dog bone Oxycheq or Golem Gear travel BP coming in around 2lbs.

Hi Everyone,

Im on the search for the lightest BP/W setup for carry-on I can build/purchase that will be for Cozumel single tank dives with half wetsuit rash guard. I am a light packer. I use a 35L pack with my DSLR and 17-55mm lens and still have room for souvenirs. This is with my Supernova Fins/boots/mast/snorkel bungeed on the outside I came back from a dive in Cozumel and I used 5lb with, I believe, a 3mm wetsuit and AL80 tank. I am 220lb, mostly muscle with a top layer of fat. I couldn’t say if I was overweight or not but I had no issues under water or floating above.

Ive been reading around the forum and have found some talk about the xDEEP Gost, Halcyon Traveler BC, OXYCHEQ Ultra Light, Kydex, and the one that intrigues me most is the commercial setup, which I cannot find info on anywhere.

I’m also searching for the lightest regulator. Preferably a Titanium primary since I live in Northeast and coldwater diving possible in the future.

QUESTIONS:

Single Tank Adapters (STA). How would you know which BP needs one and doesn’t? Is it more of a preference to secure the tank to the plate to reduce movement?

What do you guys think about the breathable power inflator 2in1? Are they a tried and true piece of equipment? Id image it will help save some weight for carry-on

Thanks for input everyone
Were you able to carry on your bag with the fin bungeed to the outside? If so how long are your fins and what airlines? I ask because I could easily get all my gear in a carry on except my preferred fins. I do have a pair of Ares Excel travel fins that will easily fit in a carry on but I would rather use longer fins. I am considering asking my dive shop if they could store my fins for me but it would be nice to bungee them to the carry on.

I started using a Deep 6 AL back plate with their 20LB wing. It is light weight and takes up little room. It is out of stock on their website but really any standard size AL plate and harness would be the same. A 20 LB wing is plenty allows for plenty of lift. their wing does not require a STA. I bought an Atomic octo inflator that I tried out but switched back to a regular octo setup. For me the combo was annoying because it was larger than a regular inflator and requires you to use a longer inflator hose than a normal BPW setup. ( I would be willing to sell it to you, very little use on it). To me the cost of a TI regulator is not worth it but that just me.

Just bought this from North East Scuba Supply

beautiful perfect ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

full.jpg

Hey superheavydeafmetal thanks for the link buddy

Hows about all their brilliant stuff hey ha ha ha ha ha

Back
Top Bottom