Light Monkey Vs Hollis Vs Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there an ETA on the SCULA 2600 ?

I have only been looking at the narrow beam version of the light and the last I heard Titan was waiting for the Chinese new year to end and they are hoping to receive parts soon. That was last Thursday. Titan also said they would be publishing burn times on the lights next week sometime on their site.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2013 at 12:07 PM ----------

I like to try the TiTan SCULA 2600 too,the design is cool and same likes more smalll? I do not know it is TiTian lights or Hydro lights?

TITAN Dive Gear

The company is Titan. They have different lights under Hydrolights, SCULA and X-Series. The SCULA light is just the handheld while the X-Series is setup like a can light with a cord. From what I understand with the older lights is that you could add an external battery with a cord to the SCULA as well. At least that what it sounded like, I would also imagine that is possible with the new light as well.......

I like the multiple light settings for different conditions. I am really waiting to hear what the burn times will be as well.

This weekend I purchased 2 Under Water Light Dude 15-96. Bobby Franklin aka Mr UWLD, rebuilt my MR11 in december and upgraded the entire light. I liked it so well that I purchased the equivalent to the LM21 from Edd Sorensons shop Cave Excursions. I pick it up in 2 weeks when I get to No Flo.:D

Do yourself a favor it you are in the market for one of the lights you listed. Check out UWLD lights. You will not be disappointed!

This weekend I purchased 2 Under Water Light Dude 15-96. Bobby Franklin aka Mr UWLD, rebuilt my MR11 in december and upgraded the entire light. I liked it so well that I purchased the equivalent to the LM21 from Edd Sorensons shop Cave Excursions. I pick it up in 2 weeks when I get to No Flo.:D

Do yourself a favor it you are in the market for one of the lights you listed. Check out UWLD lights. You will not be disappointed!

I did and I was..... I actually got Edd to send me out a demo 26 light to try, it was a nice light, but the beam was just to wide for me. I had a chance to make a few dives with it. The 1st dive was a night dive with 5-10' visibility and even on the low setting the beam was just to wide and would not get through the water. The 2nd dive was a day dive and visibility was about 15 feet or so and the light performed better with the increased visibility. So if you have good visibility the light will do a great job and light up a larger area compared to a narrower beam. I really liked the 3 different output settings, which is why I am probably going to get the new narrow beam Titan light.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 08:50 AM ----------

They also have a narrow beam that is supposed to be as tight as the older SCULA light. I have not heard the actual angle yet.

26 is equivalent to a 35. The 15 for comparison sake is the same as a 21. I like the spill on the light for the type of diving we mainly do in ocean and wrecks. I had a tight beam before and prefur the larger lit up area with a nice bright center. I see more with it.

Naturally.............. YMMV.:D

Trust me, if we had better visibility out here I would already have the 26. The UWLD guys did mention that the 15 actually has narrower beam than the 26. UWLD also said that if I got a group of buyers they could change the low setting to a different output and that would help cut through the the bad vis. I can see how the cave guys would really like the light with all the clear water they get.

Looking at the comparision I wish I would have had the 15 sent out instead of the 26. But at the time I did not know the lights had different beam angles.

Looking at the comparision I wish I would have had the 15 sent out instead of the 26. But at the time I did not know the lights had different beam angles.

problem is simple - tight beam can be produced only by

- small emiter die arround 1mm2 - 3mm2 MAX , that made very short list of used leds

-bigger emiter die need just bigger ( aczually deeper reflector ) or much bigger lens ( for example with big 9mm2 SST-90 you can get on relative small aspherics lens 7,5° -( on air you 'll get hand warmer in

front of light in distance 0,5m )

but these leds have low lumen output (emiter itself - not light ) to arround 450lm so must be connected in cluster with 3-4 to get some effect. ( still reflector is at least 15% more effective than any lens)

Still gets some lux readings in clear folrida or cave water , but in murky lake waters or in our Adriatic see near Gulf of Trieste .... IMO waste of time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom