Light Monkey Vs Hollis Vs Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

problem is simple - tight beam can be produced only by

- small emiter die arround 1mm2 - 3mm2 MAX , that made very short list of used leds

-bigger emiter die need just bigger ( aczually deeper reflector ) or much bigger lens ( for example with big 9mm2 SST-90 you can get on relative small aspherics lens 7,5° -( on air you 'll get hand warmer in

front of light in distance 0,5m )

but these leds have low lumen output (emiter itself - not light ) to arround 450lm so must be connected in cluster with 3-4 to get some effect. ( still reflector is at least 15% more effective than any lens)

Still gets some lux readings in clear folrida or cave water , but in murky lake waters or in our Adriatic see near Gulf of Trieste .... IMO waste of time

So what's your take on the SCULA 2600 beam width ? From their website it's not clear wether it's 10° or 24° but my guess is that 24° is pretty unusable in murky waters even at 2600lm while 10° could be acceptable.
What about wreck conditions, you do not necessarily need to see far away so wider beam could be beneficial...

Looking at the comparision I wish I would have had the 15 sent out instead of the 26. But at the time I did not know the lights had different beam angles.

Spg01,
My sincere apologies, we did not know until recently that we had left out the beam specifications. I guess better late than never, we have now corrected this on our website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom