Lifting doubles into truck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive my doubles (2-72LP- 2-94LP independent, no manifolds. Just 2 singles each with a reg and SPG mounted in double bands attached on my BP. I load and carry them like singles put'em together on the boat or at the site dive'em as doubles. Do I have redundant air? Pick one!:wink:

I like the winch idea, plus you'll have it to lift other things.

Last edited:
I see an accident waiting to happen with a dolly and ramps. That's a tough way to load anything awkward if it's too heavy to lift in the first place.

Safest would be a chain hoist with a short roller track on the ceiling of the garage.

I keep my doubles on the middle shelf of the tank cabinet you see in my avatar. I built it to the shelf height I wanted, so I just back up to the tailgate of the SUV, put the tanks on, walk over to the tank cabinet, back up to the shelf and they're done.

The singles and sidemount tanks are on the bottom shelf. It took me a couple of hours to make the cabinet out of 3/4 plywood, reinforce the middle shelf with 2x4s, and put doors on it.

A Husky X-Table is what I see a lot of divers using over here in CA.
HuskyX-Workhorse_Assy.gif

Makes for a good donning platform as well.

Might be easier to lift with your doubles attached to the Bp. Just for the sake of having some webbing to hold onto.
Don't hurt yourself. If all else fails try to find one of your neighbors. :wink:

Hi Tammy,

I leave my bp/harness attached to the tanks and with the help of this table rarely have to lift at home. It can be purchased at Home Depot for under $40. Ask for a plastic "saw horse table". They are collapsible and are quite useful at dive sites.

Tammy:

How about something like a furniture dolly? Or just a plain dolly. You could roll it to your car. or Somethink like a lift and dolly in one.

K&L SUPPLY DOLLY FAT JACK | eBay

Option 1:
Grab valves (not isolator crossbar!), one for each hand --perform partial/modified Hang Clean lift and load into truck. (Best lift technique if the liftover distance from the ground to the bed of your truck is not more than 20 inches.)

Option 2:
Tilt doubles, grab neck of one tank with right hand and hold bottom end of other tank with left hand --perform partial/modified Front Squat lift technique and load into truck.

With either option, recommend first starting off in the weightroom of a gym/health club for a couple of months. . .:wink:

No one has asked what type of truck you have, is it a 4x4 with big tires and a lift kit? If so, you have found out that those types of trucks are just about useless for work due to the high load level. A work truck has standard tires and a gate that is as low to the ground as you can get. It is also nice to be able to load over the sides, so the Honda truck is also useless for work.

What you can do is have some or all of the rear springs on the rear axle replaced with an air bag system (think of a low rider) so that when you want to load/unload you hit a button in the cab, let the air out of the bag, and the frame drops down onto the axle. With the tailgate down you could drop the load height 6” or more.

You can also get a wood step box that rides in the bed at all times to help out if you have short legs or to allow you to do the lift in two steps. Last, get a heavy rubber bed mat as things don’t slide around on it anywhere near as much as in a plastic liner or on the bed steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom