Liftbag Designation and Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Its a good discusion on an important issue.

WW

Thanks! It's an issue that kinda bothered me as I don't do a whole lot of diving that requires liftbags. I generally almost always have an orange safety sausauge tucked away somewhere, and I also have a white subsalve lift bag with the red dive flag on it that I carry when doing ocean dives.

However, I was putting together a list of gear that I still need/want, and a new liftbag was one of the considerations, which led me to thinking about the color scheme and if there was any type of 'preference.'

Of course, as stated by several others so far, proper dive planning is one of the most important steps.

Cave Diver,

I personally don't like the subsalve because it is white (can't be seen with white caps). I go with the Carters (yellow) or the SMB by Halcyon - big one. I have added the SOLAS tape to by bags as well. You can buy it from Boat Supply stores (boater word, West Marine)

Eric

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

That was my next question.

My closed circuit Halcyon is red.

My open circuit DiveRite is yellow.

Does anyone out there know who makes a yellow closed circuit bag and a red open circuit bag?

"Halcyon now includes a Semi-Closed Circuit 60lb. Lift Bag in their lift device product line. Halcyon's SCC 60 was designed to allow for easy lift inflation for a wet suit diver who wouldn't otherwise have a spare low-pressure inflation hose handy. Designed to be filled by a diver's second stage regulator, the SCC 60 combines the ease of inflation of a traditional bell-bottomed lift bag with an over-pressure release valve to dial in a precise amount of lift and to prevent damage caused by over-inflation at depth. "

AND ITS RED

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/liftbags.shtml

What about clipping a strobe to the liftbag if it's an emergency? Whenever I'm boat diving, I carry a Princeton-Tec Aqua Strobe (the 1AA size). It's on a bolt snap - the Halcyon bags have a small SS D-ring on top of them, if it was an emergency where you did have time to shoot a bag, what would be wrong with clipping the strobe to the top of the bag before shooting it? Granted, the strobe would probably not be very effective in bright sunlight, and would tip the bag over to one side, but most boats have binoculars on board - surely it would show up if a crew member looked at the bag through a pair, or at least the body of the strobe light itself would be visible. And it would certainly make the bag more visible on late afternoon/dusk/night dives.

Bag with no strobe attached = practice shoot, or drift deco
Bag with strobe attached = come and get me

Again, pre-dive briefing should cover this. On the occasions where I've planned a practice bag shoot, we inform the boat crew that we are planning one, and that no action should be taken. But then I've always wondered what would happen if we did get seperated from the boat, they see our lift bag, and ignore it because we told them to!

This would save having to carry two bags (although colors could be split between divers in a team), and a strobe is a valuable boat diving tool that you probably should carry anyway.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
This would save having to carry two bags (although colors could be split between divers in a team), and a strobe is a valuable boat diving tool that you probably should carry anyway.

That is something else I have been thinking about. Anyone have any comments on good strobes for anchor line/shore exit point marking or diver visibility on night dives feel free to throw it in.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
What about clipping a strobe to the liftbag if it's an emergency?

Decent idea but the ones I've seen don't have a hefty enough depth rating. Maybe some do?

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Decent idea but the ones I've seen don't have a hefty enough depth rating. Maybe some do?
The Aqua Strobe is rated to 500'...

Flash Rate:70 flashes per minute with fresh Alkaline Battery
Batteries: 1 AA Duracell ® (Included)
Burn Time: 8 hrs.
Weight: 3.4 oz. with batteries
Depth Rating: 500 ft.
Warranty: Lifetime
Although my 250' rated Shockwave once (mildly) flooded at 100'. Couldn't find any hairs or gunk on the o-ring that would have caused it.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

Although my 250' rated Shockwave once (mildly) flooded at 100'. Couldn't find any hairs or gunk on the o-ring that would have caused it.

500 is plenty, 250 is not.

WW

Scubaroo once bubbled...

Any other recommendations out there on strobes?

Cave Diver once bubbled...

That is one of the things that prompted my question. I was recently thinking back over some training dives we did, and the staff at Dive Tech (Grand Cayman) almost "rescued" us because we were practicing shooting lift bags over the mini wall during our safety stops.

They finally decided that due to the position of our bags, we were not over the main wall and in fairly shallow water that we were not in danger, but we were requested to advise them of any future plans to deploy bags.

I heard all about it from Tara. Apparently there were other divers out much deeper that day. You definitely got their attention.

Back
Top Bottom