Liftbag Designation and Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One.
Yellow.
I own a Subsalve but only carry it when I plan to use it to recover something. If I shoot a bag it's the yellow one. The way we dive and the places we dive shooting the yellow bag unbriefed would mean trouble. Haven't had to do that yet.
We are fortunate that we have the Florida springs handy where we can practice shooting bags to our hearts' content without spooking anyone.
Rick

I don’t dive with out my SMB and it’s a Red one.
And usually I take only one with me.
But when I am doing a deco dive I take two of them
One Yellow and one Red, I send the Red one I have
No problem and I send the Yellow one when there is
A problem or there is something I need. And in the yellow
One I have a small slate I can write under the water what I do
need so the divers on the boat could help with out waiting for
them to jump in the water.

And some time we send none of them if every thing is fine ,
And the conditions are perfect or if we are under the boat hanging on
The line.

In tek courses u learn to send the Red one if u have no problem
And the Yellow one if u have some problem, last year I heard that
They are changing the colors ex: the Yellow one if there is no problem
And the Red if there is. I asked why??
They said that if u are on the boat or a helicopter is looking for u
They can see the Red one better from far and if it was noon.
So I don’t know . I am still using them as I started.

and of course a reel for each

The whole concept has holes in it as far as a "standard" goes.

If a regulating body was to decide on a Problem/no problem system, what happens when your caught with just the "no problem" colour? Does that mean the crew will stand aroung gawking at it whilst your sucking your last bit of air with a 20 min obligation? (hypothetical, your buddys toast)

The only way it can EVER work is to discuss it in your predive plan, and make sure the crew know what your going to do.

Dave

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
The whole concept has holes in it as far as a "standard" goes.

If a regulating body was to decide on a Problem/no problem system, what happens when your caught with just the "no problem" colour? Does that mean the crew will stand aroung gawking at it whilst your sucking your last bit of air with a 20 min obligation? (hypothetical, your buddys toast)

The only way it can EVER work is to discuss it in your predive plan, and make sure the crew know what your going to do.

Dave

This is very true and more than this the crew will know exactly at witch minute u are going to send it even .

wazza once bubbled...

In tek courses u learn to send the Red one if u have no problem
And the Yellow one if u have some problem, last year I heard that
They are changing the colors ex: the Yellow one if there is no problem
And the Red if there is. I asked why??
They said that if u are on the boat or a helicopter is looking for u
They can see the Red one better from far and if it was noon.
So I don’t know . I am still using them as I started.

and of course a reel for each

Which teck courses teach red no problem/yellow problem?

Who is "They"? I haven't seen any standards on this.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...
I haven't seen any standards on this.

Phil

I haven't either. Its likely that some instructors are teaching this but due to manufactuers deciding what color to make their bags its not really very practical. If this were to be adopted as a standard we would see the bag manufacturers, at least the bigger ones like Halcyon and Carter, making bags in both colors. Maybe someday this will be the case but its not currently. All Halcyon bags are red, most all Carters are yellow (I think the really big ones come in dark blue too).

Its a good discusion on an important issue.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I haven't either. Its likely that some instructors are teaching this but due to manufactuers deciding what color to make their bags its not really very practical. If this were to be adopted as a standard we would see the bag manufacturers, at least the bigger ones like Halcyon and Carter, making bags in both colors. Maybe someday this will be the case but its not currently. All Halcyon bags are red, most all Carters are yellow (I think the really big ones come in dark blue too).

Its a good discusion on an important issue.

WW

That was my next question.

My closed circuit Halcyon is red.

My open circuit DiveRite is yellow.

Does anyone out there know who makes a yellow closed circuit bag and a red open circuit bag?

Its not in the standards.

In the standard its Yellow or
Red. But not white… Or in the book,

I don’t know we learned it This way.

For me its easier cos if u are
Diving with a group u know ,
every body are doing the same .
But some where Else maybe its
not like this.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Does anyone out there know who makes a yellow closed circuit bag and a red open circuit bag?

Maybe AP Valves? I think they have striped ones also. www.apvalves.com I think...

Phil

I think in this case, the "standard" needs to be agreed upon by the team. Inform the captain and crew.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom