Lift Capacity Question: HOG 4.5ft SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prob because most SMB's are not stitched heavy enough to hold/distribute the full weight of the lift of the air across the entire unit. (regardless of the brand name).

How do you figure that?

Certainly can't speak for all SMB's but my DAN 6"x72" is 6 inches wide FLAT (the inflatable portion anyway - it's about 7" wide overall), not 6 inches in diameter.

Just for fun: 6" wide flat gives a 3.8" diameter
1.9^2 * 3.142 * 72 = 816.67 cu in
816.67 / 1728 * 64 = 30.25 lb buoyancy

Doing the same for a 7 x 48 (assuming the 7" is a flat measurement as well)

7 * 2 / 3.142 (to get diameter) = 4.5
2.25^2 * 3.142 * 48 = 763.51 cu in
763.51 / 1728 * 64 = 28.28 lb buoyancy

How did you get the 3.6" diameter from the 6" flat measurement?
I think that may be the problem with our calculations.

The "flat" measurement is half the circumference right?
So the total circumference that can be made from a 6" wide flat thing is 12". From there I just backed into the radius (circumference divided by pi = diameter / 2 = radius) then I inflated and measured SMB to make sure :D

The "flat" measurement is half the circumference right?
So the total circumference that can be made from a 6" wide flat thing is 12". From there I just backed into the radius (circumference divided by pi = diameter / 2 = radius) then I inflated and measured SMB to make sure :D

Good point about the flat measurement!

O_O
That makes so much sense now
....I believe you have solved it.
Thanks

Well, now if only someone could tell me the dimensions of the HOG SMB.....9~9

So why would a smaller (less lift) DSMB be easier to deploy at depth?

I think any DSMB would only be as buoyant as the amount of air you get in it before you release it.....so any large lift bag could be "just" 25 lbs of lift.....

A longer "thinner" DSMB might be harder to get air into "quickly" before it gets to buoyant and you need to release it......

I use a Carter 35 lb Personal Float with an open bottom which is very easy to fill (4" diameter), I put a small burp of air in it to extend the bag vertically and then a big exhale to shoot it to the surface....seems to work well for me......I never even take the reg out of my mouth......

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

My apologies if I didn't follow the thread correctly......:wink:

Just my thoughts.......M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom