Lift Capacity Question: HOG 4.5ft SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know the lift capacity and dimensions of a HOG 4.5ft SMB?
I can't get any info on the web.
I have a 6 footer that's 40lbs and I'd like to get a smaller smb that's has less lift capacity, preferably around 25lbs.

The basis for this is so I can have a SMB that's easier to deploy at depth and also to be used as point of reference (w/ a finger spool and line) when I'm ascending in open water with Basic OW students.

HOG 4.5ft SMB

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to guess about 30#

You could try asking the question in the Edge Gear - ScubaBoard forum

BTW if anyone from Edge is reading this, the text in the link the OP provided says 6 foot not 4.5 foot

Thanks Tortuga
I forgot they had a forum.

You can calculate the volume, Pi * radius squared * height, then convert to weight for equivalent volume of water. 1 cu in of fresh water at 62° F. equals .03608 pounds. For salt water, multiply by 1.028.

You can calculate the volume, Pi * radius squared * height, then convert to weight for equivalent volume of water. 1 cu in of fresh water at 62° F. equals .03608 pounds. For salt water, multiply by 1.028.

Nevermind, didn't check my units.
[-]I don't think that works.
I get 1.21lbs of lift capacity for a 6ft (72"X6") SMB that's supposed to be 40lbs.
And even then I think saltwater is 64lbs/cu ft., freshwater is 62.4lbs/cu ft
Air's 0.08lbs/cu ft.[/-]
I've tried to make sense of calculating lift capacity, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Plus I don't even have the dimensions of the HOG SMB, so in this specific case I'm out of luck. =[

Last edited:
You're one step away. The lift is the difference between the weight of the air in the SMB (what you calculated) and the weight of the water displaced by the SMB:

72" * 6" SMB (3" radius)
Volume = Pi * radius^2 * H
V = 3.142 * 3^2 * 72
V = 2036 cu in

Weight of fresh water = 0.03608# per cu in
Weight of sea water = weigh of fresh water * 1.028
WOSW = 0.03608 * 1.028 = 0.03709#
Weight of air = 0.0807# per cu FOOT

Weight of sea water displaced by SMB = 2036 * 0.03709= 75.5#
Weight of air in SMB = 2036/144 * 0.0807 = bugger all (1.14 actually)

Lift of submerged fully inflated SMB in sea water = 75.5 - 1.14 = ~74# minus the weight of the deflated SMB

Or something like that

Thanks Tortuga, and you too Kilili for your help.
That's the number I've been getting, 74lbs roughly.
I just didn't believe it because the website I bought it from claimed it was "roughly 40lbs"
I did another calculation with a 4ft smb (7" X48") ~25lbs lift capacity
and got 72lbs of lift.
It just seems too high.

Go figure. :idk:

Or, hang it upside down from a fish weighing scale or similar, fill it with water. Read scale, there's your lift capacity. Has the side benefit of checking for leaks.

Jeff

Thanks Tortuga, and you too Kilili for your help.
That's the number I've been getting, 74lbs roughly.
I just didn't believe it because the website I bought it from claimed it was "roughly 40lbs"
I did another calculation with a 4ft smb (7" X48") ~25lbs lift capacity
and got 72lbs of lift, I think.
It just seems little high.

Go figure. :idk:

Yup, that would work too

I did another calculation with a 4ft smb (7" X48") ~25lbs lift capacity and got 72lbs of lift. It just seems too high.

Well not to be nitpicky, but that is too high... should be about 67#

But yeah, not even close to the quoted rating

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom