Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes this happened to me today before the dive like last night everything worked ok but mid way through the dive I realised I was in free and now I am locked out of EAN/AIR and the no fly symbol is up and the dive alarm tiny little symbol is also up so guess I will have to wait and see how it goes after 48hrs or so, surely there must be a reset proceedure!!!!

If it's a recent enough model, it probably has a "supercapacitor" to keep the memory going during battery changes. Those things do have a limited runtime, but you never know how big/long.

I have one also that I got used--put in a battery and it works fine. The trouble is I can't find a manual, only the manuals for the Nitrox and the Alpha. I have a helluva time accessing the dive logs. The first one is easy enough...
Pack rat that I am, I had a shoebox full of old manuals, including the Seaquest-Suunto Solution from 1992.

For the LOG menu (it scrolls from PRO to LOG to HIS), touch both MEM buttons (left and top right) and dives will be displayed with each repeated contact (just make sure that the terminals are clean; use an eraser, etc). Just briefly stop contact when you reach the desired scrolling menu -- PRO, LOG, etc -- option. The Solution did not possess an extensive memory -- if memory serves.

The HIS function will only show its deepest dive.

I’ll scan the whole damn thing and post it here, as soon as possible . . .

Attachments

• 90ABA045-E65D-4436-8754-1E64635A27C0.jpeg
    90ABA045-E65D-4436-8754-1E64635A27C0.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 27
  • B12A65EF-AA87-43DA-B4B1-E967CE19D280.jpeg
    B12A65EF-AA87-43DA-B4B1-E967CE19D280.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 29
Mine worked great until I dropped it and the pressure sensor stopped working. I suspect this is the primary cause of premature failure, with high ambient temps being a close second. Generally I would expect them to last for around the 10yr mark depending on use.

My Oceanic Veo 2 (my back up) worked perfectly on my recent trip.
Except at the point that it was supposed to start counting down SS. Then it would instead display IMP000. If I caught it fast enough, pressing a couple of numbers could get an upward count started. I've never seen this before and despite efforts to reset, it remained that way.

Any ideas?

I have seen too many computers quit including mine at critical moments or while on a trip or a day out diving. I carry two as a result as does my wife. Last summer a lady had a brand new Scubapro and it quit on the first dive of a three tank charter. She had dived the same profile as me, essentially she was my buddy. The captain said she could not dive without some means of tracking her dive. I mentioned square profile since the bottom depth was known, no go. I handed her my backup, he smiled and the lady was able to continue her diving. If you are in overhead (deco included) or the loss of a computer will end your diving for the day, carry two.

I have seen too many computers quit including mine at critical moments or while on a trip or a day out diving. I carry two as a result as does my wife. Last summer a lady had a brand new Scubapro and it quit on the first dive of a three tank charter. She had dived the same profile as me, essentially she was my buddy. The captain said she could not dive without some means of tracking her dive. I mentioned square profile since the bottom depth was known, no go. I handed her my backup, he smiled and the lady was able to continue her diving. If you are in overhead (deco included) or the loss of a computer will end your diving for the day, carry two.
I always carry two. It's my backup that started acting weird and it seems to be only that one issue. Strange

My previous Oceanics have only failed when I've managed to flood them due to poor process during battery change. 🙄

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom