Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry two. It's my backup that started acting weird and it seems to be only that one issue. Strange

On our just completed trip my wife's BU computer, an Aeris, showed 5 feet shallow to her primary and my Peregrine and another of our buddies had a 15 feet split on his computers, another Subsea, on the first day of diving. The following day my BU Subsea computer showed 5 feet deep compared to the Peregrine. The following day all computers were in sync. I have seen a couple of feet here or there but never 5 or more feet consistent.

The following day all computers were in sync. I have seen a couple of feet here or there but never 5 or more feet consistent.

Makes you wonder if the pressure sensor got a little stiff and needed some stretching to get in shape. Or SkyNet.

I dove an Aeros Atmos 2 nitrox capable DC for 15 years and 300+ dives until about 4 years ago. This is an inexpensive “entry level” DC, but it suited my needs. It started showing water temps several degrees too high, so I made it my backup and it is still functioning perfectly other than water temps. My primary is now an Aeris A300, another $200 nitrox DC.

I dove an Aeros Atmos 2 nitrox capable DC for 15 years and 300+ dives until about 4 years ago. This is an inexpensive “entry level” DC, but it suited my needs. It started showing water temps several degrees too high, so I made it my backup and it is still functioning perfectly other than water temps. My primary is now an Aeris A300, another $200 nitrox DC.

Yes, that is the one that quit on me. Died in the middle of a dive that I was having multiple issues that caused me to go into deco among other things. Up until then it had been reliable and I liked it, easy to use and large numbers too.

I'm on a parts for life programme for these

200 IMG_3797a.jpg

So I'm wondering what is "reasonable" for life expectancy?
A lot better than what you're experiencing. 50-100 dives is ridiculous. It should ten times that or more.

Sorry to say but Cobra's have had far more than their fair share of problems. For that matter, I own several Suuntos and will hereafter avoid Suunto computers altogether for various reasons-overly conservative repets/proprietary algorithm, convoluted menu progression, idiotic/failure prone battery replacement process, difficult to use buttons and lousy customer support. I'm sorry I bought them.

My wife's Orca Skinny Dipper is still going after thirty years. My Shearwater has a simple user replaceable battery, multiple battery chemistry options (alkaline, Lithium and SAFT), logical menu progressions, lots of functionality and strong customer/firmware support.

Hey here's your 1 per unit 10mm ish long snap off plastic coated porous ceramic tissue replicator

201 IMG_3812a.jpg

Works good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom