LH/SH Config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grender

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking to get some input on hose lengths for a LH/SH setup. I have always ran an octo with standard length and so i have no idea where to start with LH/SH.
(I would prefer to not have a ridiculously long primary, so I am looking for the low-mid length option for my LH)

Also, any info on these braided Miflex hoses? Are they as dependable as they are stylish?

For OW some use a 5' primary and a 22" bungeed back up.

Some also use a 40-44" primary with 90 degree elbow and 22" bungeed back up.

Some also use a 7' primary with 22" back up.

I've used all three configurations and ended up settling on the third option.

I found the 40 nice but the extra length of the 5 or 7 was nice in an air share.

Went to a 5' but found it didn't route so well, I found it a tad short.

The 7' solved both above issues for me.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2015 at 11:43 PM ----------

Miflex hoses are nice but generic braided hoses are cheaper. Other than some dodgy miflex hp hoses a few years back I've not noticed any difference in quality. I've used both.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2015 at 11:44 PM ----------

I don't like braided for a 7' as they are too willful. Longevity wise I've had no real issues with rubber or braided.

5' primary, 22" alternate for me for recreational diving. I find the 7' hose unwieldy in open water. I do use 7' with doubles in restricted areas. The braided hose is probably not worth it for the long hose, because longer hoses are more flexible anyway, but people rave about them for the shorter lengths. They are lighter and are thought to last longer, and the price is coming down.

realistically the only options in my opinion are 40-44 with angle adapter, or 7'. 5' just isn't good enough, too many compromises, not enough advantages.

Braided for the long hoses bothers most people because the braid will grab your neck hairs or tear drysuit neck seals up. They also float more than rubber, so I prefer normal hoses.

realistically the only options in my opinion are 40-44 with angle adapter, or 7'. 5' just isn't good enough, too many compromises, not enough advantages.

Braided for the long hoses bothers most people because the braid will grab your neck hairs or tear drysuit neck seals up. They also float more than rubber, so I prefer normal hoses.

Does the hose cause problems with wetsuits?

Does the hose cause problems with wetsuits?

Its fine with wetsuits. As the braids split they become scratchy and if using a long hose that's routed around the back of your neck it can cause skin irritation from rubbing. I've never experienced but know of some who have.

This is absolute nonsense. 5' is excellent for open water, keeps all the advantages of the hogarthian routing, without the inconvenience of stowing a 7' hose without a canister light. 7' is specifically for air sharing single file in tightly restricted areas, like caves. In fact that's exactly where the idea for the long hose came from. There simply is no advantage at all to the extra 2 feet in open water.

Now, for some large people, 5' is a few inches too short to comfortably rout across the chest and around the head. But the answer in that case is to get a hose a few inches longer, not a few feet. This can be easily accomplished through a bit of experimentation by joining together shorter hoses using a $3 coupler. Once you find the perfect length, you can order a custom hose.

Eventually, some company will get smart and offer long hoses in either 4" or 6" increments as stock.

I tried the 7' rubber hose on my primary but it was constantly floating up and getting caught on my valve much to my annoyance, so I went back to a 40" hose and I use a 24" hose on my necklace because a 22" is just too short for me.

I know you can add something to the harness where the can light would go, but I didn't want to add stuff just to keep a hose in order for recreational dives. I do use the 7 footer with doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom