LH/SH Config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Gear Express has the fixed angle adapters in 90 and 120* versions, though I prefer the ball swivels that are sold by Cave Adventurers.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/swivels-elbows

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Hose length is a personal preference and has a huge dependence on your first stage routing, but looks like a 40". Right now he has his primary coming out of the bottom port which I don't like for mine, but it does help cheat a few inches out of the hose. I prefer to run my first stages horizontal for this with the secondary coming out of the bottom. The issue with this is he is using a drysuit, and if you're diving a drysuit the horizontal routing doesn't work due to lack of ports. One hose would be coming straight up. I only use this configuration when I'm diving wet, and it is advantageous because I can switch between doubles and singles very easily, literally as simple as moving the long hose to the turret of the left post regulator. No other changes needed. I'm lazy.... With his setup, I'd have to move a lot of hoses and I'm not willing to do that, so I have a set of small doubles I use whenever I'm diving dry.

Omniswivels are nice, but way too expensive, the Cave Adventurers swivels for $25 work quite well. Personal preference though. I have swivels on both primary and secondary since I swap them back and forth between sidemount and backmount, but you can use a 90* on the secondary and a swivel on the primary if you get the 90* first and want to try the swivel.

Hose length is a personal preference and has a huge dependence on your first stage routing

This is my first stage.. I like the underarm loop technique, 44 good with this?
SCPM21D.jpg

Tbone. I actually tried to order another one of his swivels yesterday. Screen shows in stock but when in cart shows back ordered.

View attachment 210298

I'd consider getting the 5 port cap for that regulator, then you can point the cap down and slightly to the right, using the end port. This puts the hose pointing directly under your right arm. The question then is, do you simply loop back up and use a 90 degree elbow, or go under the right arm, across the chest, over the right shoulder and around the head. 44" for me would be too long for the first set up and too short for the second.

Unless you're a giant, I just don't see how a 7ft hose would not be excessive in routing this way. Don't forget, the normal 7ft routing is all the way down to the waist belt, around a canister light, and back up. The 'modified hogarthian' routing is simply under the arm, across the chest, etc. Here's a photo of me in that set up using a 3ft and a 2ft hose coupled together. It's pretty streamlined.
aquarena.jpg

You like the rigid 90 degrees? Not the omniswivel?

Yes, rigid. I've never used an omniswivel. The rigid is cheaper and works just fine so have never seen a reason to try/use the Omni.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------

View attachment 210298

You'll be fine.

40 or 44, depends on how big you are and how big of a loop you want. Your first stage has to go vertical since you only have two ports on each side so you need your primary on the back closest to the valve, secondary in front of it closest to you, then inflator on the left side per normal. Depending on your chest size and how low your tank is, a 40" is where I would start. If you're small you can probably get away with a standard 36" hose with swivel adapter for now to see if you like it.

uncfnp, call them and check, sometimes the website is not updated vs actual inventory.

Your first stage has to go vertical

What do you mean by this?

---------- Post added June 10th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

Went with:

Braided 40 primary
Braided 22 secondary
Braided 22 inflator

Scubapro S560 for secondary reg (matches my current primary)
and I got that 90 degree elbow you recommended buddah

Thanks for the help guys

the ports have to go out to the side,, likely identical to the way you have it now with the black cap on the top and hoses pointing perpendicular to the axis of the tank. Opposed to horizontal where you would have the octopus coming out of the bottom port and all other hoses coming down.

the ports have to go out to the side,, likely identical to the way you have it now with the black cap on the top and hoses pointing perpendicular to the axis of the tank. Opposed to horizontal where you would have the octopus coming out of the bottom port and all other hoses coming down.

oh yea that is how it goes normally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom