Leyte Whaleshark DOR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VERY COOL PAK!!!!!! I thought for sure Larry would be in a couple of those...:D

Diver Dennis:
VERY COOL PAK!!!!!! I thought for sure Larry would be in a couple of those...:D

hehehe, actually Tim has those pics... it's hard to figure out which is the whale shark...

I do have to admit diving for whale sharks is probably one of the most frustrating things. You spend all that time searching for them, sitting around all kitted up. Numerous false alarms or we jump in at the wrong place and then wait for the bangka to pick us up. And then when you finally see one, you have less than a minute to drop in, grab your camera, get your strobe arms extended properly, and meter the shot as you furiously fin to keep up with those magnificant monsters... And to make it worse, since it was barrelling down on me, I couldn't fit all of it in even with the lens at 10mm! Wish I had a 10.5 Nikon fisheye!!!! :wink:

In hindsight, I should have set the camera to Av priority. Luckily I did have the ISO at 400 as I suspected it was going to be dark but I should have taken the shutter down slower than 1/80s. Worse part was the second whale shark we saw, a smaller baby that spent more time around us, I didn't realize my right strobe was pointing in slightly. Ruined all my shots with nasty backscatter all over its head!! The rest of the shots, Larry f-ing blocked me...:rofl3:

Here is one that I made a pathetic attempt at PS'ing...
IMG_4973.jpg

clgsamson:
at what depth, Pak?

I think I recall chasing one down to 50m...

Pretty shallow... haven't looked at my dive computer but guessing 10m at most.

Unfortunately, it was pretty overcast over Sunok so couldn't really take advantage of any ambient light. You probably heard already, but we also got hit by a nasty storm on the second day of whale shark diving.

Mike Veitch:
how was the water clarity? as bad as Z had in Donsol?

Any interesting macro or reef dives?

Caloy, I think Phil said best time in Sogod for whale sharks was up to Feb and that they still get them swinging thru occaisionally thru out the year.

Mike - viz wasn't too bad. dunno maybe 10-15m? (I'm bad at guessing real viz). There is some interesting macro stuff on the resort side of the bay. Mandarins as well but we didn't see them. So the good thing is, if you get skunked not seeing the whale sharks, there are still some nice dives in the area. Phil went as far as saying the wall dive is one of the best in Asia... I probably wouldn't go that far but it is nice.

As for macro stuff, wait til Tim posts his pics. He's got a real winner. Looked awesome on his laptop straight out of the camera with no adjustments...

We even did a muck night dive off the Padre Burgos town pier. Nice wall north of Sunok as well with some beautiful coral, tons of small fishies. No big stuff other than some wahoos.

I'll try to post a more organized trip report in the main PPD forum eventually.

I'll try to post pics some time later today.. but I am moving house so it will come in trickles.. :) But the one of the whale and the whale shark is.. well... I'll let you decide.. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom