Let's talk cold water gloves. What are your recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only place I sometimes need help, is on a hot day when I am sweating inside the suit, I sometimes lack the dexterity to connect up the dry suit lp hose with my dry gloves on.
Have you checked out the Viking/Waterproof drysuit hose? The wings help to grab it. SI-Tech makes one you can just push on without having to pull the ring back. Of course you could also get a hose hat.

Attachments

• hose75cmfordrysuit.jpg
    hose75cmfordrysuit.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 255
I see. My drysuit is an older bare xcd2 pro dry. I got it cheap. For now I think I will stick with wet gloves because I don't really want to put any additional money into this suit. I just want to get it through the winter as much as possible. Then towards the end of next year, I will look into getting a new suit with all the bells and whistles. When I get around to that I'll start asking for input. Right now I am looking at DUI or Whites Fusion.

Lets keep talking wet gloves.

There are different options on how to install the dry glove system. They can be permanently installed into the suit. Or you can install the dry glove system over the seals. So if you change your suit you will move the dry glove system over to the new suit.

Dutch is relatively not far from us and I do not expect you guys to have much wamer water. I used to dive wet mitts which are warmer than gloves and after diving for a half an hour in april my hands were numb :) I switched to dry gloves after 5 dives.

Have you checked out the Viking/Waterproof drysuit hose? The wings help to grab it. SI-Tech makes one you can just push on without having to pull the ring back. Of course you could also get a hose hat.

That hose in the picture is garbage :)

I had one of them and once it accidently caught on a bench and the plastic sleeve onthe connector broke like an egg shell :)

Dui has nice hoses with metal hats. Tobins hats also work nice on a regular lp inflator hose.

I am sure its a personal thing, but I am comfortable with wet gloves down to 40-45F.
Its not that my hand are not cold, they are just as my head is, but since my core body temp is warm I am OK.
I use 5MM for cold water, fit is key like anything else made of neoprene. If the get a hole I cannot fix, they are trash.
I have one set with kelvar which is good if you need extra protection, at the loss of dexterity.
I do bring regular winter gloves for the SI along with a winter hat.
If I had more money, the dry gloves would be nice but for 1 hour dives is not a big issue.

Thanks for all the info. I did not know you could use dry gloves without a permanently attached system. This looks like an interesting option. There is so much to learn with every step deeper into diving.

Ihave the DUI drysuot hose with the larger grip on the connector. It works well for me in my 2 drysuit dives :)

---------- Post Merged at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:48 PM ----------

FYI I am moving away from Dutch springs and am moving towards Indiana and the great lakes.

assuming it is a self-donning suit (i.e. diagonal front zip), you should put your head through the neck seal before putting your arms in the sleeves, adjust the neck seal, put on your hood, then put your arms in the sleeves. I have been doing it this way ever since seeing the video on DUI's website, and it is pretty easy to get the suit on by yourself.

The only place I sometimes need help, is on a hot day when I am sweating inside the suit, I sometimes lack the dexterity to connect up the dry suit lp hose with my dry gloves on.

Yep. I do just that. But I have the neoprene gloves with Kevlar. Great gloves but I can't do crap with them till they compress in water.

I use these in 5mm Aleutian Kevlar Glove No idea how they would work with a drysuit.

I find them quite comfortable down to 6C - 7C (43F - 44F), usually do 2 tanks every outing, time from 45 - 60 minutes each.

I found them inadequate at 3C - 4C - called a dive after 20 minutes. I was really surprised how much difference a couple of degrees made. Depends on your personal limits.

Someone recommended these to me 5mm Dry Five GlovesThey seal better, but are harder to get on and I honestly did not find them any warmer.

If I had a dry suit I would probably just go with the dry gloves anyway.

I was at a Public Safety Diver conference last week and the rep had those gloves on display and they felt great nice and flexible except that he said that they were hearing reports that if you do a lot of flexing with your hands you will see the seams tear out because the glove is more flexible than the stitching and so they have a tendency to tear out the neoprene. I was sold until I heard that

I wore a pair of these out in 150 dives Thermocline Kevlar Glove

and was very satisfied with them They are a little stiffer than the other ones but they wore very nicely and were very warm down to 32 at depth

I think that gloves are very subjective and I really have to try them on to see what I like I also have a few pairs of
Akona 5mm ArmorTex Glove | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

and they feel nice they did not hold up to barnacles encountered when cleaning boats but I doubt anything will

That hose in the picture is garbage :)

I had one of them and once it accidently caught on a bench and the plastic sleeve onthe connector broke like an egg shell :)

Dui has nice hoses with metal hats. Tobins hats also work nice on a regular lp inflator hose.
That piece of garbage has served me for over 300 dives with only needing a new schrader valve a couple of times. I have never had good luck with the hose hats. They either fall off, or don't fit in the first place. The SI-Tech push on style looks nice.

Thanks for all the info. I did not know you could use dry gloves without a permanently attached system. This looks like an interesting option. There is so much to learn with every step deeper into diving.
You didn't watch the videos in the link I posted above did you? It will teach you all you need to know.
Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

FYI I am moving away from Dutch springs and am moving towards Indiana and the great lakes.
Brrrr...what is the water temp there? Oh yeah...freezing!

No I didn't watch the video. I was on a bus and looking at the site on my iphone. I have since watched the videos and I get it now.
I think I will still go for wet gloves for the time being and then maybe look into this if I am getting too cold.

That piece of garbage has served me for over 300 dives with only needing a new schrader valve a couple of times. I have never had good luck with the hose hats. They either fall off, or don't fit in the first place. The SI-Tech push on style looks nice.

You didn't watch the videos in the link I posted above did you? It will teach you all you need to know.
Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Brrrr...what is the water temp there? Oh yeah...freezing!

You do seem to have a better luck. Mine broke after about 30 dives.
I think Murphy loves me. If something can break it will :)

I now use a dui hose on my drysuit, the one with the metal head

Back
Top Bottom