Let's talk cold water gloves. What are your recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry gloves typically have a ring system that locks around your latex seals. You then lock the glove on the ring. Once you get used to dry gloves you'll never go back.

You also wear a thin gloves under the dry glove as insulation. Ill be wearing dry gloves at Haigh on the 17th, as well as a few others. Be sure to check them out.

I see. My drysuit is an older bare xcd2 pro dry. I got it cheap. For now I think I will stick with wet gloves because I don't really want to put any additional money into this suit. I just want to get it through the winter as much as possible. Then towards the end of next year, I will look into getting a new suit with all the bells and whistles. When I get around to that I'll start asking for input. Right now I am looking at DUI or Whites Fusion.

Lets keep talking wet gloves.

if wet, than +1 on the Fourth Elements......

I love Forth Element 3mm and 5mm gloves. The sealed seams and textured grip are awesome.
Now I wear Magid gloves. I use the SiTech Stiff Ring under my wrist seals and pull the Magid glove (AKA: VooDoo Gloves) over it. They now have the oval stiff rings but I haven"t tried them yet.

I use medium weight running gloves from Costco made by Head. They have a textured grip on the palm and fingers so they grip the inside of the drygloves. They feel like one glove. Of course, just as you submerge clasp hands and fingers to make sure your fingers are properly seated into the glove to get rid of any excess glove at the finger tip.

I leave the sleeve thumb loop from my undergarment under the wrist seal to allow air to travel.

I dive a Santi E-Lite. But if you have the DUI Zip seals, no need for the stiff ring with the zip system and you can use your latex wrist seal and pull the Magid gloves right over the Zip rings.

Be sure to test dive a Santi or DUI before you buy. They both have Demo Days at Dutch. I owned a Fusion and did not like it.

Love them.

IMG-20120511-00114.jpgIMG-20120511-00115.jpgIMG-20120514-00116.jpgIMG-20120514-00118.jpgIMG-20120514-00119.jpg

Last edited:
I was at the dutch demo days in Sept. I didnt get to dive a suit at the time because I was doing AOW and didnt have time but I did get fitted for one. Right now I will need to have a custom suit because of my calf measurements. I got my full measurements done there so I can order when ready. Hopefully I can lose some weight though and get re-measured by next winter. I am looking at the CLX450 from DUI. I heard from the rep there that they may be coming out with a larger neck ring next year which could be good for my big head :)

What didn't you like about the fusion? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it here.

I love Forth Element 3mm and 5mm gloves. The sealed seams and textured grip are awesome.
Now I wear Magid gloves. I use the SiTech Stiff Ring under my wrist seals and pull the Magid glove (AKA: VooDoo Gloves) over it. They now have the oval stiff rings but I haven"t tried them yet.

I use medium weight running gloves from Costco made by Head. They have a textured grip on the palm and fingers so they grip the inside of the drygloves. They feel like one glove. Of course, just as you submerge clasp hands and fingers to make sure your fingers are properly seated into the glove to get rid of any excess glove at the finger tip.

I leave the sleeve thumb loop from my undergarment under the wrist seal to allow air to travel.

I dive a Santi E-Lite. But if you have the DUI Zip seals, no need for the stiff ring with the zip system and you can use your latex wrist seal and pull the Magid gloves right over the Zip rings.

Be sure to test dive a Santi or DUI before you buy. They both have Demo Days at Dutch. I owned a Fusion and did not like it.

Love them.

View attachment 138877View attachment 138878View attachment 138879View attachment 138880View attachment 138881

I was at the dutch demo days in Sept. I didnt get to dive a suit at the time because I was doing AOW and didnt have time but I did get fitted for one. Right now I will need to have a custom suit because of my calf measurements. I got my full measurements done there so I can order when ready. Hopefully I can lose some weight though and get re-measured by next winter. I am looking at the CLX450 from DUI. I heard from the rep there that they may be coming out with a larger neck ring next year which could be good for my big head :)

What didn't you like about the fusion? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it here.

Here is something I wrote a while back....Link and Link2

When I dive, I dive dry!

Do a search for DUI/Santi/Fusion on this forum as well.

There was a bonus though....after watching the video on how to get into a fusion, makes it a breeze to get into other non fusion suits.

Darren

I've been using some 5mil ScubaPro gloves I got at the LDS this season---45F to 53F. Very elastic with good tactile feel, but a little hard to get on if I forget the talc.

I dive a CLX450 and have a large cranium as well. I have ZipSeals and can get my head thru it. I'm guessing your noggin isn't any bigger than mine.

You can get removable dryglove rings that can be transferred to your new drysuit. If you are serious about a DUI be sure to get a dry glove ring system that is compatible with DUI's ZipSeals. DUI also makes zip gloves, but I think if I were to do it again I'd get a ring system and put it on the ZipSeal. Getting in a suit with gloves on takes some flexibility, them you lose dexterity getting finished gearing up (getting neck seal laid down etc).

I see. My drysuit is an older bare xcd2 pro dry. I got it cheap. For now I think I will stick with wet gloves because I don't really want to put any additional money into this suit. I just want to get it through the winter as much as possible. Then towards the end of next year, I will look into getting a new suit with all the bells and whistles. When I get around to that I'll start asking for input. Right now I am looking at DUI or Whites Fusion.

Lets keep talking wet gloves.
You do realize the SI-Tech system is not permanently attached to the suit right? It is the same system that is offered on the Whites Fusion with replaceable wrist seals allowing you to use silicon. This is the same system my gal has on her Bare drysuit. You could use it on both a Fusion, a DUI, or a Santi, along with every other drysuit manufacturer out there.

The difference between wet and dry gloves can easily be felt when you get out of the water and doff your gear, then grab your dive buddies hand that is using wet gloves. Their hands are cold, and about 2 seconds later they are asking you about dry gloves, because your hands are warm. Another story, my friend blew a wrist seal between dives. He was bummed as he really wanted to do the second dive. He tried on my medium glove that fit perfectly so we traded one glove which now gave him a sealed drysuit. He came up from that dive asking what he needed to switch to dry gloves. I came up from that dive with one warm hand and one cold hand. Water temp was around 50 degrees.

Did I mention more dexterity than a 5mm glove? Did you know replacement gloves are only $16.95, with new liners! The rings should last for thousands of dives if cared for.
Atlas Glove, Cold Resistant, Insulated PVC, Removable Liner, 495

What is your water temperature in the winter?

If you really want wet gloves try the XS Scuba 5mm "semi"-dry gloves. They are a pain to get on and off and have a limited lifespan. Plus poor dexterity. But they are warmish.
XS Scuba Dry Five 5mm Glove | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I dive a CLX450 and have a large cranium as well. I have ZipSeals and can get my head thru it. I'm guessing your noggin isn't any bigger than mine.

You can get removable dryglove rings that can be transferred to your new drysuit. If you are serious about a DUI be sure to get a dry glove ring system that is compatible with DUI's ZipSeals. DUI also makes zip gloves, but I think if I were to do it again I'd get a ring system and put it on the ZipSeal. Getting in a suit with gloves on takes some flexibility, them you lose dexterity getting finished gearing up (getting neck seal laid down etc).

assuming it is a self-donning suit (i.e. diagonal front zip), you should put your head through the neck seal before putting your arms in the sleeves, adjust the neck seal, put on your hood, then put your arms in the sleeves. I have been doing it this way ever since seeing the video on DUI's website, and it is pretty easy to get the suit on by yourself.

The only place I sometimes need help, is on a hot day when I am sweating inside the suit, I sometimes lack the dexterity to connect up the dry suit lp hose with my dry gloves on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom