Less weight with a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the process of putting together my first BP and Wing BC (it'll be complete in a few days, as soon as the Wing arrives via UPS):
1) BP: FredT SS 6lbs
2) Wing: Dive Rite Venture
3) Harness: Dive Rite TransPlate
4) Generic Tank Bands x2
5) XS Scuba Weight Pockets x2

I dive in So Cal in a 7mm Wetsuit with single AL63 and AL80 tanks. I currently use 18~20lbs of lead with the SQProQD+ (it's taken me quite some time to get my trim just right so I can dive with 18~20lbs of lead). I've seen several posts from various divers that claim they've dropped significant amounts of lead after switching to a BP+Wing BC.

Is this just a matter of the BP replacing 6 lbs of lead? Or, do people actually need less ballast to be neutral in a BP+Wing setup? This information would be very useful to me during the set up of my BC. Currently, the BP (-6lbs.) and the 2 XS Scuba pockets (-5lbs. max x 2) would give me a total of 16lbs of negative buoyancy. It would be ideal if I only need <= 16lbs or lead.

Otherwise, I was thinking of threading additional 2lbs block weights onto the waist strap, over the shoulder strap base plates (item [8] in the TransPlate manual).

I'd really appreciate if the experienced BP+Wing users on this board would advise how much ballast you are using, and how you are distributing it.

Thanks!

ifukida,
I was diving a 6.5 farmer john/jacket using 22# in fresh water with my BC. When I went to the BP/W I was able to drop 10# of weight. I'm 5'8" and weigh 165#. I don't know your physical characteristics, but you can expect a similar weight reduction.

Try 12# and see how it goes. You'll be in the ball park with this amount.

ifukuda:
Is this just a matter of the BP replacing 6 lbs of lead? Or, do people actually need less ballast to be neutral in a BP+Wing setup?

No. Yes.

It's basically the difference in inherit bouyancy of a BC vs. a wing. BCs have more air pockets and just floaty stuff, a wing is much less positive.

The 12# that I do use are placed 6# per side in ditchable weight pockets located on my waist band between my side d-rings and the back plate.

I went from a jacket BC to a backplate around New Year's. I remember thinking much the same - I had been using 19# with the jacket, and knowing the backplate was "worth" at least 6 lb, I dropped my weight to 13lb on the belt.

I was unbelievably negative, that first dive. Fortunately, one of the local GUE guys, knowing I was new to the backplate, pointed this rather obvious fact out to me.

On subsequent dives I dropped 2 pounds each until I was able to maintain a horizontal hover at 15' with an empty (~500psi) tank. I don't hold much faith in those vertical weight checks as I'm seldom anywhere near vertical.

I finally ended up with 6lb on the belt when diving my steel tank, and 10lb under an aluminum tank. I know this weight is perfect for the wetsuit I dive, and in fact on my recent DIR-F these weightings were confirmed as "just right."

So you see, 19lb = 6lb + 6lb (bp). That's Halcyon math :wink:

Why all the guesswork?
Take your old kit and put it in a mesh bag and see how much weight it takes to sink it.
Take your new kit and do the same.
Subtract.
Rick

Rick,

As the people I work with often say; "there you go again, thinking logically!".

They mean it as an insult, but I take it the other way. Your response was the best chuckle I have had to day. Thanks for that.

Wristshot

Thanks for the data, it's very helpful. I'm glad that I probably won't need to thread additional block weights to the waist strap webbing.

Why all the guesswork?
Take your old kit and put it in a mesh bag and see how much weight it takes to sink it.
Take your new kit and do the same.
Subtract.

No pool access. My apartment gave me a really hard time last time I did a weight check in the pool. If pool access wasn't a problem, I'd just suit up and jump into the pool with the new BC. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing my weight/trim adjustments in open water.

FYI: It's possible to get the same results, by just figuring out how much weight it takes to sink the ProQD+.

I dropped 8 pounds in my switch.

However, I think it might be hard to attribute the drop in weight to the equipment change only. It may be that many divers also take their diving to a new level in making the switch, and fine tune their bouyancy/weighting in the process.

JAG

You need to look up Terry Lee May or Mike Kane. They will set you straight.

Too bad you couldn't dive with me on the Spectre last month...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom