Less weight with a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad you couldn't dive with me on the Spectre last month...
Thanks, maybe next time.

Aren't you based in Tokyo? How did you end up on the Spectre? Ventura Harbor is a long ways from Japan, not to mention, it's another 2 hour drive from LA...

Here is the thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t60229.html

That day I was testing out some new rental gear but could have helped with your backplate/harness/wing setup.

How did I end up on the Spectre? I'm from Kali. The Spectre was one of the few times I dive for fun recreationally, although you could say that DIR dives with my expedition team could qualify as "fun".

Forgot to include disclaimer on my last post: I am a full Authorized Halcyon Outfitter and sell Oxycheq, etc.

I did a few dives with my new BP during the weekend.

One thing I can say about the BP+W setup, is that it's a lot of work to adjust. I'm still trying to figure out how high/low I want the BP to rest on my back. Contrary to my initial assumptions about this set up, it's comfortable out of the water and on the surface...but it isn't very comfortable in the water.

The outer shell traps alot of water when I exit. Perhaps it traps air when I enter the water...I don't really know. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to reduce ballast like the rest of you have. I still need 18~20lbs (6lbs BP + 10~12lbs of lead) to get neutral with an AL80 @ 500 psi.

First of all, you must be doing something wrong with your kit if it is riding up too high or low. To adjust the trim, you position the tank higher or lower, but always placed so that you can turn on and off the valve by reaching back.

There are several guidelines on the web for how to properly adjust the backplate height on your body, most of them are on DIR (i.e. Halcyon) sites. Do a google search.

If the rig isn't comfortable in the water...well, I dunno about DR, but all of the plate combos I have used (generic and Halcyon) have been rock solid and comfortable.

Also, the wing shouldn't trap air, if it does, then forget DR altogether, start over and buy a Halcyon Pioneer or Oxycheq wing. There are enough threads on the board to probably to have figured that out before. I would also recommend ditching the DR harness and get a proper Hog harness. Doesn't even have to have the fancy "H" logos on it.

Getting the harness adjusted properly should not be a lot of work. The trick is to snug it up tighter than you think is necessary so you get only a couple fingers under it on land. In water, things loosen up a bit. The crotch strap does wonders for comfort as well.

You might ping Rich Lockyer on the board, he's very knowledgeable.

Best of luck,

Trim, and BC riding up or down, hasn't been too much of a problem for me. The way I was trimmed with my jacket BC (6lbs in non-ditchable pockets next to tank, 12lbs in ditchable pockets, jetfins, high tank positioning w/AL80) is similar to the how a BP+Wing setup seems to distribute weight.

The biggest problem I seem to be having, is the fact that I have to configure the entire rig around preventing the stainless steel "shoulder strap base plates" of the TransPlate harness from digging into my ribs.
I'm hoping that this problem will go away if I position the BP a little lower on my back. If not, I'll consider switching to a standard hogarthian harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom