Less Lionfish in Florida? Think again!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was from a commercial boat, so probably sold. Which is actually very good. Many states outside of coastal ones are now actively seeking lionfish to serve to restaurant patrons. I know several central Florida fish processors absolutely cannot keep lionfish ceviche in stock as soon as an email update is blasted out. It is gone in just hours. The restaurant chefs are also having a field day with colorful displays on dinner plates with the spines (heat treated prior). Even artists are selling the spines as earring jewelry !!. 3 phone calls and you could off load 1400 lionfish easily And CLEANUP THE REEF at the same time !!

See I'm hoping that's the case. I strongly agree that lionfish is creating havoc in our reefs and we need it out. At the same time I also believe in not wasting resources. If I kill a lionfish too small to make it worth cleaning, then I find some creature that would eat it, would never bring it to the boat unless it's going to end up on my plate.

That amount of fish go to waste just because it is a nuisance seems less than optimal.

Few things actually go to waste. Dead fish used as organic fertilizer are exceptionally valuable. Unless you reduce something to ashes or bury it in a sealed concrete box most everything gets eaten by something.

Lionfish in the Caribbean and tropical West Atlantic are a catastrophe. I was in the Caribbean last year, on an island with an aggressive Lionfish eradication program. There were few to be seen on the popular diving sites, but a friend who lives there tells me they are extremely numerous below 200 fsw.

The concept of waste does not apply to harmful exotic species.

See I'm hoping that's the case. I strongly agree that lionfish is creating havoc in our reefs and we need it out. At the same time I also believe in not wasting resources. If I kill a lionfish too small to make it worth cleaning, then I find some creature that would eat it, would never bring it to the boat unless it's going to end up on my plate.

That amount of fish go to waste just because it is a nuisance seems less than optimal.

I believe morays and groupers will eat them. Probably sharks too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom