Scuba incident/accident/Rescue via USCG Florida Middle Grounds 08/16/2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the inflator is blocked on inflating, how hard is it to disconnect it from the BCD ?

Can you practice it ?

If it's blocked and not delivering gas, just oral inflate. No need to disconnect.
Sorry i was unclear, I meant to say if the inflate button is stuck and delivering air like during this accident,then would the pressure make it harder to disconnect ?

Sorry i was unclear, I meant to say if the inflate button is stuck and delivering air like during this accident,then would the pressure make it harder to disconnect ?
No. They pop off, you should practice, and it is far easier with 2 hands.

No. They pop off, you should practice, and it is far easier with 2 hands.
How do you practice an inflator being stuck ? I am familiar with disconnecting my inflator, but I was wondering if it makes any difference to do while while it is inflating.

Do you keep the buttton pressed while disconnecting ? If I do this in salt water do I need to clean the inflator afterwards ?

How do you practice an inflator being stuck ? I am familiar with disconnecting my inflator, but I was wondering if it makes any difference to do while while it is inflating.

Do you keep the buttton pressed while disconnecting ? If I do this in salt water do I need to clean the inflator afterwards ?
I would only do that at the surface, as you will be adding air, which could be a bad idea at depth...

And you need to clean your inflator after every dive.

I'll add, IMO, this is another area where an Air2 has an advantage. The bigger quick connect makes disconnecting the hose much easier, even with gloves on. Plus if you have a pull dump you can vent your gas while fiddling with the quick connect. To quote dumpsterdiver regarding the standard inflator quick connect: "Some people add an after market flange or collar that can assist, but I have said for years that the current design is ridiculous and it should be changed for safety and convenience, but nobody wants to change the "standard" I guess."

I'll add, IMO, this is another area where an Air2 has an advantage. The bigger quick connect makes disconnecting the hose much easier, even with gloves on. Plus if you have a pull dump you can vent your gas while fiddling with the quick connect. To quote dumpsterdiver regarding the standard inflator quick connect: "Some people add an after market flange or collar that can assist, but I have said for years that the current design is ridiculous and it should be changed for safety and convenience, but nobody wants to change the "standard" I guess."
I agree with all of this, and why I dive an Air 2 or the Atomic equivalent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom