Less compressible tropical wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tennessee Slim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last autumn, owing to a catastrophic wardrobe malfunction, I bought a 3mm Mares full Trilastic suit because it was the best I could do on short notice. It’s got quite a few dives on it now and I’ve even managed to shed a little of the "new neoprene" lead but it still is too compressible to suit me. I’m still having to adjust my BCD for every 6-8’ of change in depth.

Are there any suits that have a reputation for being less compressible (or less variable buoyancy)?

Last autumn, owing to a catastrophic wardrobe malfunction, I bought a 3mm Mares full Trilastic suit because it was the best I could do on short notice. It’s got quite a few dives on it now and I’ve even managed to shed a little of the "new neoprene" lead but it still is too compressible to suit me. I’m still having to adjust my BCD for every 6-8’ of change in depth.

Are there any suits that have a reputation for being less compressible (or less variable buoyancy)?

Yes those made from Rubatex neoprene. There is a coppany in the USA that I bought my custom wet suite from that uses Rubatex neoprene. The following is a link to a pressure chamber test illustrating the compression of various brands of neoprene.

http://www.wetwear.com/video/WETWEAR.wmv

I hope this helps you out.

in the tropics i always wear a aeroskin p2 suit.

its not neoprene, made out of a fabric that helps wicks away moisture and gives protection against sun/environment.

its the only thing ive worn in the tropics and hubby now has one also

cheers

Thanks, folks, I'll consider all the above.

You probably will not listen but that is OK. I will tell you anyways. What you want is a suit made from genuine USA made Rubatex 231. This is a denser, heavier, much less compressible, much more durable, military/pro grade neoprene that is far warmer and less compressible than the cheap blended asian sourced neoprenes used by almost all of the "brand" name suits. The Rubatex neoprene in addition to durability and life will rebound quicker, there will be less bouyancy swing as well. Where do you get them, custom made for you from Wetwear in Florida, USA.

Rubatex.com - Rubatex International, LLC - HOME

N

It is, GN-231N is all I've ever used.

Rubatex 231 is the bomb but again since you ask. Yamamoto makes some good neoprene. I believe there are three basic grades, light, med and heavy. Not thickness but density. If you cannot find Rubatex then Elios of Italy and Terrapin (Texas) will make suits from the better quality Yamamoto neoprenes. Most bulk, off the shelf, name brand and not so name brand suits use cheaper blended neoprene. Some Bare products seem to use a denser neoprene as I have a 5/4 suit from them that is actually quite decent. I also have an old Parkaways sharkskin suit from 1/4 inch Rubatex. It is a nice suit. Nothing really beats the Rubatex if your a serious diver. N

You probably will not listen but that is OK....
Is that a psychological ploy or does my reputation for being hardheaded precede me? :D

Actually, I've already been to Wet Wears web site and looked em' over. Their spiel makes sense. I've got time to think about this because I figure to be back in a shorty before they can piece together a custom suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom