Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently looking for some items here in Manhattan and visited 3 local dive shops before going to LP. Guess who had the items? LP, not the dive shops. However, the LDS's are more friendly. The LP guys can be a bit too dry at times.

Beware of Leisure Pro. Their "warranty" really isn't as good as the manufacturer's in my opinion. Here's what happened to me:

(1) I bought an aeris atmos elite from LP. I was weary of buying such an important item online, but was assured by the salesman (AND their website) that they would provide an equal or better warranty.

(2) I had signal problems (kept losing my signal).

(3) I called aeris, who acknowledged that the problem existed in some units. They told me to send it in to them and that it would take approx. 2 weeks to repair. I told them that I bought it through LP, and they insisted that I have LP send it to them.

(4) I call LP and they agree to send it back to Aeris for me. I asked how long it would take. They told me two MONTHS. I asked why it would take them 6 additional weeks while Aeris told me that they only needed 2 weeks. LP gave the following reasons:

(a) LP did not want to send my unit alone back to aeris. They wanted to wait (perhaps a week or two) until they had other units to send with it, presumably to save on some shipping.

(b) LP explained that manufacturers typically fix the units from warranty holders first, before turning to units sold by LP. So utimately, items purchased from LP take longer to repair.

(5) I was outraged and demanded to speak to the general manager, Max. I asked "how could this be an equal or better warranty if I have to go without my computer for 6 additional weeks just because I bought it through you?"

(6) After a great deal of protesting, Max agreed to send the computer out immediately. It wound up only sitting in the store for about 3 days.

(7) I explained my sitaution to Aeris and they were kind enough to rush the repair. It took 2 weeks.

(8) The unit was scheduled to be returned to me just before my dive trip and there was a chance it wouldn't arrive in time, so I asked Aeris and Max (LP) to have it shipped directly to me.

(9) Max refused, because it would "mess up his paperwork." I insisted and kept mentioning all of the business I had given them in this year alone. Ultimately, he made me sign a waiver releasing him from any liability should the unit not reach me.

(10) Happy ending: I got my atmos elite back in time for the trip; it works great now.

Moral of the story: I only saved a few bucks ($25?) buying the computer from LP. I would have been waiting 2 months for my computer to be repaired if I hadn't been so pushy with them. Their "service" is horrible. They care more about saving a few bucks on shipping or whether their paperwork would be more difficult than their customers, even the ones that spend thousands in their store. They are rude and have absolutely no business sense.

I will never spend another cent in their store. I've found that my LDS will come damn close to their prices, and other web sites will usually match them.

Advice to new divers: If you must, use them for the cheap prices and selection on cheaper items (e.g. a mask strap that you can't find anywhere). But be careful about buying large ticket items from them. Try to get your LDS to come close and spend the few extra dollars. Trust me, you won't regret it....

PS: All of LP's salespeople regularly post on this board. Take every post with a grain of salt!

Forget LP. I've ordered a few things from them before but ScubaToys blows them away. Just ordered a package for my girlfriend. Not only were they $200 cheaper for the package but they give great advice and are friendly on the phone. Even looked at putting together something from Ebay but with the prices and service from ScubaToys it just didn't make sense.

Bought a Suunto Mosquito from Leisure Pro, and after 6 months of use found a dive on it 13ft for 999min. Sent it back and they replaced it, took 4 wks, but I received it today..........so no more guarantee stories about LP.

DiveTyme:
Bigkidneys,
First thank you for your service.
Second, I am not defending Leisurepro, but most internet stores will not ship to an address other than the billing address. I have had a PO box for 30 years and have had to change my address to my physical address so I can get things shipped to me.
Tim
For some (maybe any?) credit cards you can call them and approve other addresses for shipment, they will keep the addresses on record so they can be verified anytime you try to ship something there. I don't know if this works with every vendor that cares, like if it's an automatic thing to check or extra trouble for them, but it's worked for me.

I found this out when some vendor rejected a shipment to a different address, but they told me I could call the credit card and approve the address for shipment.

RonFrank:
Greymarket is the term used for products manufactured with the intent to be distributed in a country other than where they are sold.

So far my experience with LP is that everything I've received was intended for sale in the US based on packaging, and instructions.

LP does not appear to be grey, they are just not authorized dealers from most of the stuff they sell. There is a big difference.

In camera equipment some grey market items will not be serviced in the US. Model names are often different, manuals come in a foreign language, and packaging is different. The fact one may have trouble getting service in the US for grey market items based on seriel and model numbers is a real issue with some grey camera gear.

In the world of Scuba the term grey market seems to be mis-used to describe products that were often made, distributed, and sold in the US by those who are NOT willing to sign away their rights to do business as they please in the name of becoming an authorized dealer....

Not sure if there is a word to describe this type of retailer, but Greymarket based on my decades of dealing with grey eletronics gear definately does not really apply.

Ron

Well hold on there professor. I have some good friends at ScubaPro and know some of the ins and outs of how they get and sell ScubaPro gear. LeisurePro (until recently, when ScubaPro claims to have taken care of this problem) has been getting around of a lot of the dealer probs by getting all of its ScubaPro gear from Europe where free trade is Free Trade. The rumor is that the same is true for Aqua Lung and Canada... If that isn't grey market by your definition, what is?

I did have a problem with a regulator purchased from LP. I returned the product and it was exchanged. LP conducted themselves as true professionals. The only issue is they are closed on Friday, noon and Saturday for religious reasons so shipping might have been a little quicker. Still it is a small price to pay for dealing with people with integrity.

rockie_diver:
I did have a problem with a regulator purchased from LP. I returned the product and it was exchanged. LP conducted themselves as true professionals. The only issue is they are closed on Friday, noon and Saturday for religious reasons so shipping might have been a little quicker. Still it is a small price to pay for dealing with people with integrity.

How long have you worked at LP? :)

Have only bought a few non-critical items from LP. Overall satisfied. However; one item purchased was listed as 'in-stock' but actually wound up being a backorder.

Back
Top Bottom