Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received my order from LP. On time, exactly as ordered, exactly the price quoted.

I bought a set of Scubapro regs from Leisurepro... One first stage and two second stages. After six months (and about 150 dives), the first stage began to leak - the IP would not "stay put."

I brought the regs to my local Scubapro dealer, who proceeded to give me all sorts of guff about not buying from him, etc. etc. He then told me that "it wasn't warrantied," which I got pretty worried about until I found out what that really meant.

The regs ARE "warrantied." If there was a manufacturer's defect within a certain time frame, Scubapro would repair or replace them. The laws in the U.S. state that a manufacturer must back his product to some degree, and yes, I was covered for that.

What my local Scubapro shop MEANT was that they weren't going to service my regs for free - which, of course, I didn't expect them to.

Of course, this gave me the impression that if I'd bought from THEM, they'd have serviced them for free - but upon questioning this, I was advised that this wasn't the case either.

The bottom line is that the service kits - worth roughly $15 for each stage - would have been provided at no charge if I'd bought those regs from my local Scubapro dealer. I'd still pay for labor - about $30 per stage - either way. In other words, if I'd bought from them, it'd cost me about $90 to get my regs serviced. If I bought from somewhere else, it'd cost me about $135 to get them serviced. That's hardly the difference that one might comprehend when they're told "it's not under warranty."

Anyway, so I paid the $135 (plus tax) and had the regs serviced. Since the only authorized Scubapro dealer is an hour and a half away, that meant a three hour 'round trip, wait a week, then another three hour 'round trip. I did this, plus spent $135.

The next time I went to use the regs, I found them completely unusable - not only did they not fix the problem, but it was actually worse - and now one of the knobs on one of the second stages seemed to be disconnected. It just turned and turned, with no effect on anything. Plus - now I had a shiny new dent in my pressure gauge. Nice. I was fuming.

...So I disassembled the regs myself, looking for problems (like I had any idea what I was doing - but I certainly wasn't going to make them worse). When I got inside those regs, I realized how cheaply they were made. I was really disappointed with Scubapro service, and even Scubapro quality. Looking in there, I was thinking, "Yikes."

...So I called Leisurepro back. Let me reiterate: These regs were six months old and had 150 dives on them. They were well used.

Leisurepro advised me to pack them up and ship them back so that they could look at them.

Four days later I called Leisurepro, and do you know what they did for me? They gave me a full in-store credit for the purchase of the regs. That's right - a full in-store credit.

...Which I promptly used to buy a set of Apeks regs.

I'm thrilled with what I've got now - and I highly recommend Leisurepro. Their customer service and prices are both the best you'll find in the industry.

SeaJay,

Thanks for sharing your incident. Do you service your Apeks regs yourself? I've been thinking about doing it.

Mem

Yep, I sure do... I don't trust anyone anymore after THAT incident. :D

What I did was relay all of this frustration right here on the board... And got a lot of great help and information regarding something that was better made. Apeks has really fit the bill. I'm super-pleased with these regs, and have absolutely pounded on them. They work like they did the day I got them.

...But what I didn't expect was all of the resources that were given to me - service manuals, places to buy service kits, places to get the right tools for the job, and all of that stuff. I ended up compiling it and putting it on my website. You'll find the information that I've compiled at http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/homeregs.html . If you click on the "Apeks" link, you'll see a slide show presentation on how to service Apeks regs - which has been an amazingly useful tool for me. Highly recommended.

Scubatools (link available on my site) also did a great job in supplying me with the few extra things that I needed... Email me for places to buy parts kits.

Servicing your own regs is super-easy... I'm down to about 30 minutes per stage now, and just do it every couple of months to keep things nice. Special tools cost me about $35, plus I bought an ultrasonic cleaner for about $60, but of course, I only had to buy once. Kits run me between $20 and $30 apiece for each stage.

Heck, I spent that in gasoline alone EACH WAY. :D

Oh yeah... And I do my regs the right way. LOL

If you can rebuild the carburator on a minibike, you can service a reg. Buy the book and it's pretty hard to screw up.

Thanks man! I've got 2 Apeks ATX50/DS4's. They're kick a.. regs. I'll give it a go on the service.

SeaJay:
Yep, I sure do... I don't trust anyone anymore after THAT incident. :D

What I did was relay all of this frustration right here on the board... And got a lot of great help and information regarding something that was better made. Apeks has really fit the bill. I'm super-pleased with these regs, and have absolutely pounded on them. They work like they did the day I got them.

...But what I didn't expect was all of the resources that were given to me - service manuals, places to buy service kits, places to get the right tools for the job, and all of that stuff. I ended up compiling it and putting it on my website. You'll find the information that I've compiled at http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/homeregs.html . If you click on the "Apeks" link, you'll see a slide show presentation on how to service Apeks regs - which has been an amazingly useful tool for me. Highly recommended.

Scubatools (link available on my site) also did a great job in supplying me with the few extra things that I needed... Email me for places to buy parts kits.

Yep, they're easy to do. Those exact ones are my favorites, too. I have an ATX200 first/second also, but it's no different than the ATX50/DS4, except for the routing of the hoses on the first stage. If I'd have known that there was no other differrence, I wouldn't have spent the extra money.

I just bought a couple more, too - for my doubles rig and another stage bottle. From here on, it's only ATX50's/DS4's for me.

Slide show, man. Check it out.

DiveTyme:
Bigkidneys,
First thank you for your service.
Second, I am not defending Leisurepro, but most internet stores will not ship to an address other than the billing address. I have had a PO box for 30 years and have had to change my address to my physical address so I can get things shipped to me.
Tim

The shipping issue I had with LP was that they wouldn't ship to my parents' house because they aren't listed in the phone book and therefore the address is unverifiable. Inconvenient but understandable. So I had them ship to my office instead. No problemo.

cheers

Billy S.

I've gotten lots of things from LP and have been satisfied with their service for the most part. They don't always have convent hours because they have odd weekends and days off. The few minor problems I've had with them were taken care of right away. I still prefer buying from my LDS because I want to keep 'em around as long as possible. Besides, there is a price for having a place to visit as I do now and again.
:)

jrdivagrl:
Hello there. I know that there have been MANY complaints about Leisure Pro. I recently went to their store in Manhattan and to be honest nothing i saw in there was fake. They were all orthodox Jews so I highly doubt they intended to rip anyone off.

just my little tid bit.

anna

Randy43068:
I've gotten lots of things from LP and have been satisfied with their service for the most part.

ditto. no complaints here

garyfotodiver:
No more or less than any other ethnic or religious group. Much of the NYC retail camera business has been in the fold now for many years.

Yep yep.. B&H.. great place (my own opinion).. a lot of fun to actually go to the place in NYC - organized. Although, a bit of a pain to return things - but they shipped our stuff home when we bought in store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom