Leisure Pro bait and switch still happening - warning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On shipping to Canada: What I found out (the hard way, before it was easy to compare notes with others online) is that there is a thing called "customs brokerage" when sending things from the US to Canada. The postal service does not add on brokerage fees (or they are somehow built in or they are exempt - at any rate, the fee is the fee and nothing is added). Other couriers have to use customs brokers and they add a fee.

UPS is apparently large enough that they have their own brokerage department, and thus they are able to do the "brokering" and add on the fees themselves. I found this out when I sent two boxes of my own (non-valuable, used) items via UPS from the US to Canada and was quoted around $30 shipping for each box. But lo-and-behold when they arrived in Canada there was ~$40 in brokerage fees added to each box (these are not exact numbers as it was some years ago). Ugh!

Later, I found out that USPS/Canada Post does not have this arrangement, and so when I was shipping and receiving parts between the US and Canada I always tried to go via postal service, where there was never anything added on for brokerage.

I don't know the details of the transactions being spoken about here, and maybe things have changed; but if not then maybe it's one reason that people in Canada find UPS expensive and prefer to use the postal service.

On shipping to Canada

UPS is apparently large enough that they have their own brokerage department, and thus they are able to do the "brokering" and add on the fees themselves. I found this out when I sent two boxes of my own (non-valuable, used) items via UPS from the US to Canada and was quoted around $30 shipping for each box. But lo-and-behold when they arrived in Canada there was ~$40 in brokerage fees added to each box (these are not exact numbers as it was some years ago). Ugh!

Later, I found out that USPS/Canada Post does not have this arrangement, and so when I was shipping and receiving parts between the US and Canada I always tried to go via postal service, where there was never anything added on for brokerage.

I don't know the details of the transactions being spoken about here, and maybe things have changed; but if not then maybe it's one reason that people in Canada find UPS expensive and prefer to use the postal service.
You nailed it , the broker fees are after the shipping fees . Other outfits will use usps so all we pay is tax on the import . I wish Leisurepro would offer USPS .

I'll definitely make the suggestion on USPS for Canada orders. There may be some reason why we don't/can't. I know where I am in Oregon, a local chain of businesses just went under due to some shipping issues across state lines (Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, Washington does) and there was a mix up between who was supposed to pay the tax (the business, the shipping company or the end customer) so maybe there's something like that here. It may work, but isn't legally right. Or maybe it's just more difficult to do on our end. I don't know, but I'll see what I can find out.

I for one like LP but will rarely ever buy from them because of the fact that USPS is not a shipping option. I have been there and done that and have the HUGE customs bill from FedEx as proof. Typically anything that is shipped via USPS (at least in my experience) is only subject to tax, no customs charges or other charges. I respect that LP makes their decisions and if USPS remains outside of their business model then that is OK. We'll both do just fine. Food for thought.

As a general rule I do not buy from US merchants who insist on UPS and seem to have forgotten the lowly postal service.

Last year, against my better judgement, I made an order from LP thinking that the savings was enough to cover the UPS gouge. Big mistake. I have spent ~ 8 months now screwing around with UPS as they continue to try to retroactively apply additional fees.

Any merchant who forces this choice is actively participating in screwing their customers with hidden fees and bad business practices. All IMHO, of course.

There is absolutely no reason why LP could not / should not use USPS.

They prob got tired of the poor customer service from USPS.

I've shipped stuff 2-3 "Priority Mail" only to have it not show up for 4-5 business days.

When I asked the USPS to find it (track it ,etc... ) they told me they couldn't/wouldn't until it'd been missing for 5 days.

I don't use them to ship stuff anymore if it's important.

I have never had a shipment go missing but delivery times are often extended by a couple days. I can live with that as long as I am not getting bent over by FedEx or UPS. Canada to Canada is a totally different story.

They prob got tired of the poor customer service from USPS.

I've shipped stuff 2-3 "Priority Mail" only to have it not show up for 4-5 business days.

When I asked the USPS to find it (track it ,etc... ) they told me they couldn't/wouldn't until it'd been missing for 5 days.

I don't use them to ship stuff anymore if it's important.

My wife just bought a new Oceanic computer from LP. She did a lot of research and decided she wanted to buy an Oceanic VT3.0. She found it on sale at LP for $649, reg $899, She ordered it and the package arrived a couple days later. She was surprised to open the box and find the Oceanic VT4.0. She double checked to make sure she ordered the VT3.0 and she had. The VT4.0 sells for $1,099 so she called to tell them about their mistake and correct it. The rep said it wasn't a mistake, they were out of the VT3.0 so they upgraded her to the VT4.0 at the same price. Now that's my kind of bait and switch! An $1,100 computer for $650!

The rep seemed genuinely surprised she called to point out the mistake made in her favor. She's honest anyway but told the rep she doesn't want bad karma attached to a device that her life depends upon.

My wife just bought a new Oceanic computer from LP. She did a lot of research and decided she wanted to buy an Oceanic VT3.0. She found it on sale at LP for $649, reg $899, She ordered it and the package arrived a couple days later. She was surprised to open the box and find the Oceanic VT4.0. She double checked to make sure she ordered the VT3.0 and she had. The VT4.0 sells for $1,099 so she called to tell them about their mistake and correct it. The rep said it wasn't a mistake, they were out of the VT3.0 so they upgraded her to the VT4.0 at the same price. Now that's my kind of bait and switch! An $1,100 computer for $650!

The rep seemed genuinely surprised she called to point out the mistake made in her favor. She's honest anyway but told the rep she doesn't want bad karma attached to a device that her life depends upon.

That's all fine and dandy, but regardless of getting "upgraded", they failed to notify you or get your approval to ship something different than what you ordered. What if you (or your wife) really wanted/needed the VT3.0 ? Sure seems to me that this dealer makes a lot of "mistakes". On the flip side, I do applaud your wife's honesty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom