Leisure dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I am about to buy my first computer and the info is confusing me sooo much. I want one that I will not have to replace in about two years when I start nitrox diving (if I do). I am looking at UWATEC and Suunto, as I have seen quite a lot of people wearing these. I don't know what I want other than accent rate warning, dive time, multi level, PC link, and the usual bits ie surface time needed. Please could someone make my mind up please !

You are just looking for a recreational computer, not a technical set-up. I don't think you should be spending more than 250$ on something like that. I personally have an ORCA Pilot that I bought 2 years ago for about 275$. They are relatively cheaper now. The battery is easy to change, has an ascent alarm that goes off at 30ft/min., and it handles Nitrox. Everything I wanted for a reasonable price. The only thing it doesn't have that you are looking for is the PC link. I don't know how much the UWATEC and Suunto run, but for me, if they were more than 300 bones I would consider something else.

I'd recommend a Vyper or Mosquito. There are some pretty good deals on the Vyper at the moment (£170 ish) and it should do everything you will need for a while. If you want to be upgrade proof the Stinger or Vytec are good options but they are more expensive.

The downloading interface is way overpriced but you might want to add this into your budget calculations.

If you are interested in diving and will be doing more of it in the future, remember that Nitrox is something you'll probably want to look in to. Keeps you from taking long naps after diving which cause you to miss your night dives! ;-)

I personally use an the Uwatex Air Nitrox Z and the Uwatec Smartcom.

I originally was using just the wireless air integrated computer, but had problems with the communication features due to a bad transmitter. I bought the smart com as a backup and have found that I almost like the smart com better. You can buy them for $500 or so.

If you plan on doing decompression dives or getting anywhere below 100 feet I would highly recommend this as an invetment.

I have also found that having a dive computer with software the you can upload dives to forces me to keep a really good dive journal!

Good luck, if you want to know more about either dive computer listed above just let mek now.

Kevin

I was wrestling with this decision 1 month back
and I finally made up my mind to buy the Suunto
Vytec rather than Unwatec Z Nitrox.
After alot of comparsion, I find the Vytec more
suited to my needs.
You too should consider your needs and post it on
the board.
Tell us all your requirements and let us give you some
good suggestions.
You should never rush into buying a dive computer
1. coz it's expensive
2. coz it's your LIFE

IMO - After diving all of the following air integrated models: Cochran, Oceanic, Suunto, and ScubaPro - I have stuck with Suunto as my primary and Cochran as my backup. As a first computer I recommend the Cobra console with compass or the Vytec hoseless - you will never look back.

I use a suunto vytec and think its a great computer.It has everything i want including being wireless,wristmount,compact and overall great set up.

My wife uses a uwatec smartcom.Another very good computer.My only dislikes is that it is a console.Other than that it has a great display and is air integrated.

Thanks for all the replies.

I would like to do the following diving.

1) Reef (cold and warm water)

2) Wreck (when I'm qualified to do it)

3) Food diving (not liked by all, sorry) I think I would need a multilevel computer as you never know if you go up or down a couple of meters chasing them !

4) pushing buttons ? is this needed underwater, are the buttons on some computers to small?

Goals : I live in the south of England UK. I will be diving in cold water more than warm. I would like to dive the D day landing beaches if I am allowed. Also dive in Thailand late next year. I am diving in Egypt in Feb and Malta in June. Most of the time diving will be around south England coast line.

:confused:

I just got a Cressi-Sub ARCHIMEDE. Cose me 300 euros. Have ordered the pc link from the web at £65. So far I've found it to be a really great comp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom