Legend LX...not what expected?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally bought the 2nd stage ATX50 to match my DS4 regulator. I originally had an older US Divers SEA4 as my second stage and finally after getting the ATX50, it made WORLD of difference breathing. I took off my old US Divers (Cousteau?) 2nd stage and put the SEA4 on my necklace as my backup. I took it on several deep dives this weekend and it was totally incredible...........

My friend (and dive store manager) told me he had a Zeagle Flathead that he said was close the DS4 design and that he had a hard time admitting it but he said the Legend LX breathed so much easier. I have already committed to either another Apeks (DS4/ATX50) or a Legend LX to finish off a pair of good regs for my doubles. My friend let me borrow the Legend LX on my last dive this weekend and in comparison I thought it didn't breath any better than when I was using the SEA4/DS4 combination. He checked it and said everything was set wide open and I was very shocked. I was expecting it to be at least side by side with my Apeks. I was hugely disappointed. I got back and put my Apeks on another bottle and keep breathing off both on land as well, comparing them. The Apeks (ATX50/DS4) combination was clearely a better breather. I wasn't partial to the ATX50 2nd stage since i just got it and added it to my DS4. I hadn't fallen in love with it and since all the people around me owned Legend LX's and talked them up I felt I was set up for a downer. They talked about how good it was and I thought that'd be the greatest primary and use my Apeks as my secondary for my doubles. It wasn't terrible but I even think my Aeris Atmos Sport that I use for diving in the zoo tanks breathed better (don't wanna mess up my good regs cleaning fish tanks). I was just sorely disappointed and I am thinking I'm going to go with another Apeks set-up like I have. Makes me wonder if the ATX200 setup (which I hear is the same as the Legend LX) is any better than its counterpart. Guess I'll give it one more chance but, as said was sorely disappointed.

darylm74:
I finally bought the 2nd stage ATX50 to match my DS4 regulator. I originally had an older US Divers SEA4 as my second stage and finally after getting the ATX50, it made WORLD of difference breathing. I took off my old US Divers (Cousteau?) 2nd stage and put the SEA4 on my necklace as my backup. I took it on several deep dives this weekend and it was totally incredible...........

My friend (and dive store manager) told me he had a Zeagle Flathead that he said was close the DS4 design and that he had a hard time admitting it but he said the Legend LX breathed so much easier. I have already committed to either another Apeks (DS4/ATX50) or a Legend LX to finish off a pair of good regs for my doubles. My friend let me borrow the Legend LX on my last dive this weekend and in comparison I thought it didn't breath any better than when I was using the SEA4/DS4 combination. He checked it and said everything was set wide open and I was very shocked. I was expecting it to be at least side by side with my Apeks. I was hugely disappointed. I got back and put my Apeks on another bottle and keep breathing off both on land as well, comparing them. The Apeks (ATX50/DS4) combination was clearely a better breather. I wasn't partial to the ATX50 2nd stage since i just got it and added it to my DS4. I hadn't fallen in love with it and since all the people around me owned Legend LX's and talked them up I felt I was set up for a downer. They talked about how good it was and I thought that'd be the greatest primary and use my Apeks as my secondary for my doubles. It wasn't terrible but I even think my Aeris Atmos Sport that I use for diving in the zoo tanks breathed better (don't wanna mess up my good regs cleaning fish tanks). I was just sorely disappointed and I am thinking I'm going to go with another Apeks set-up like I have. Makes me wonder if the ATX200 setup (which I hear is the same as the Legend LX) is any better than its counterpart. Guess I'll give it one more chance but, as said was sorely disappointed.

I have been using the Aqua Lung Legend LX and LX Supreme regulator for the past 18 mos and I have about 300 dives in a variety of conditions. I have 8 units. Of the rest of our units they have about another 300 dives on them as well. We have found that they breathe as well if not better than the APEKS. But there is not a significant difference in the two. The internals are virtually identical. I like the Legend 1st stage configuration better than the DS4 but thats just personal.

The ATX200 is designed as a single tank set up. if you want it for doubles use the ATX100 or the Legend series. It puts the hoses in a better place.

Make sure your Legends are set to factory specs and not detuned.

More questions -- ping me.

cheers

darylm74:
I was expecting it to be at least side by side with my Apeks. I was hugely disappointed.
Your results are not consistent with any test that has been run on these regs, nor is it consistent with my personal experience. Something's amiss in the tuning of the Legend (or you've got gremlins).
Rick

IMHO, save your $ and stick with the ATX50. The 200's cost more, but I cant see a diff. when hooked to the DS4, or DST. Other than that, If i'm being picky, I notice that I don't get the (for lack of a better term) "mechanical" pull off of my Apeks rig that I notice on some others. It seems to crack open more naturally. But all of this aside, im glad that you like your new rig!

The Legend is a fine regulator and, when tuned properly and hooked up to the big machines, reportedly tests out marginally better for WOB than the Apeks - not surprising, since the guts are very similar but also not enough difference that a mere mortal could detect it. It is enough, however, for the marketing folks to make a cute chart out of.

Consistency is as important as barely measureable gains. Pick one and go with it, you'll find advantages to not having a hodge-podge of gear.

dbg40:
IMHO, save your $ and stick with the ATX50. The 200's cost more, but I cant see a diff. when hooked to the DS4, or DST. Other than that, If i'm being picky, I notice that I don't get the (for lack of a better term) "mechanical" pull off of my Apeks rig that I notice on some others. It seems to crack open more naturally. But all of this aside, im glad that you like your new rig!

I am thinking that the "mechanical" pull is the difference that I found and didn't like. Another option I wasn't thinking about earlier was that my friend manages my LDS and is trained (and services) his own regs. He may have them tuned to his taste. The Legend did give plenty of air but he may have preferred to have a slightly higher cracking pressure. Like I said I'm going to give it a another try here soon. There is only $60 between the Apeks ATX50/DS4 and the Legend LX at my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom