LED vs. the other one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vis ranged from poor to worse. At times, you could not see much more than 4 feet.

One of the other guys had a UK C8.

The Shockwave Led was not quite as good at penetrating the murk, but mostly because the C8 has a narrower beam.

If you were close enough to see things, then the SW did a lovely job.

If you are prepared to take the due care required with the Light Canon, I would be inclined to think More Light = Better. But since I already picked up my BCD and heard the clatter of the Shockwave hitting a bar, I guess I'm not quite ready for a HID bulb.
The SW was of course undamaged.

I would be inclined to think that it's

1) As good as a C8 - down to personal preference, (SW) better colour wider beam Vs (C8) A little more penetration, narrower beam.

2) It would really rock in clear water on a night dive.

I was quite happy with the switch, lanyard and seal.
Putting the batteries in is a little fiddly, but thats 8 C Cells for you.

If anyone wants to donate a light canon I'll gladly compare them, and try a little harder not to drop it. :cool:

D

bonklers:
Mail was sent two days ago about using nimh on SW LED, I haven't received anything yet.....

Thanks mossym. I'd also like to know if it's also suitable for daydiving. Are you using your LC100 with alkalines? I've seen a nice topic about someone using AA nimhs on his and getting great results. Oh and have a nice trip :).

we had pretty good vis for the whole trip, which was to the southern channel islands, and i only saw them together on a night dive, but for me the led version is streets ahead, way more light, and a white light at that, which i way prefer. The LED version is defintiely way brighter at night. Still a good bit behind the light cannon, but seeing as though i already have the non-led version if they sell the LED head seperately, as UK does for their c4's and c8's, it's well worth the upgrade, no contest really. Now, remember i didn't see it in murky water, so i can't say which is better there..

Thanks all for your reviews.

@david.tolan & Spectrum
Since you two have seen the light in murky water, does it have an unpleasant backscatter?

bonklers:

@david.tolan & Spectrum
Since you two have seen the light in murky water, does it have an unpleasant backscatter?

No back scatter to speak of, might be different in murky water at night though.

Maths Exams are going to impact my diving for the near future now though 8-(

bonklers:

@david.tolan & Spectrum

I guess I don't understand the term "back scatter". Vis was limited (as it had been an hour earlier in daylight) and nothing came across as unpleasant. The illumination of particualte as well as attracted micro critters was very real.

EDIT:
Main Entry: back·scat·ter
Function: noun
: the scattering of radiation or particles in a direction opposite to that of the incident radiation due to reflection from particles of the medium traversed; also : the radiation or particles so reversed in direction
- backscatter transitive verb

Yea I guess what I described as backscatter but as I said it wasn't so good in natural light either.

Pete

david.tolan:
If anyone wants to donate a light canon I'll gladly compare them, and try a little harder not to drop it. :cool:

D

I just wrote an article about my comparison between the C8 and the Light Cannon. Sorry D, but after owning both I had to get rid of the Cannon (I'm too clumsy in my dive gear).

Back
Top Bottom