LED vs. the other one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that,

Just to let you know I dropped the web site an email, and the Shockwave in that picture is on full power 15 watts, the cynic in me was wondering if they had done the comparison at 7.5 watts.

Looks Awesome.

liberato:
Here's a brightness comparison of the Shockwave LED with some others.

I pulled the comparison pictures into Photoshop and started messing with the image.

What I discovered is that the center of the Shockwave is brighter than the Shockwave LED.

It appears that both are simply white, but there's more data there than the naked eye can see. Darken the whole image, and you can see the difference.

The LED is still very bright, and puts out a LOT of light, but I can't help thinking it would be great for Clear water, but not so good for Diving in the Guinness that is the Irish Sea. Kinda like full headlamps in a snow storm.

Any thoughts anyone ?

I'm this close '' to ordering one of either the UK Light Canon, UK C8, PS ShockWave Led.

Dave

david.tolan:
Thanks for that,

Just to let you know I dropped the web site an email, and the Shockwave in that picture is on full power 15 watts, the cynic in me was wondering if they had done the comparison at 7.5 watts.

Looks Awesome.

I pulled the comparison pictures into Photoshop and started messing with the image.

What I discovered is that the center of the Shockwave is brighter than the Shockwave LED.

It appears that both are simply white, but there's more data there than the naked eye can see. Darken the whole image, and you can see the difference.

The LED is still very bright, and puts out a LOT of light, but I can't help thinking it would be great for Clear water, but not so good for Diving in the Guinness that is the Irish Sea. Kinda like full headlamps in a snow storm.

Any thoughts anyone ?

I'm this close '' to ordering one of either the UK Light Canon, UK C8, PS ShockWave Led. But it's mostly for diving in Irish Waters.

Dave

david.tolan:
Thanks for that,

Looks Awesome.

You have a good point about how turbid water may affect a particular type of light. I'm thinking that the more narrowly focused beam of an HID or halogen may work better. Yet at the same time how far away are you expecting to see anything in really turbid water?

I have a UK light canon. The amount of light it throws out is awsome, but it is so strong as to be overpowering. Especially if you are trying to take pictures of small things. You may find yourself in a foggy bubble of light with the Light Canon.

The Light Canon is pretty heavy and a spare bulb will cost half the original purchase price of the light. I also didn't like the supplied diffuser. You have to mount it inside the light ahead of the reflector. Over a short period of time you will melt a hole in it.

I have the C8 from UK. I bought it and an eLED conversion. I was on a boat and I dug it out to look for someone's missing (don't remember). This is a heavily traveled area "flat" of the lake and the visibility is very poor. We were in around 10 feet of water. I was impressed by how easily the lake bottom lighted up. The particles in the water weren't over powering the beam and still could see a focused beam on the bottom. I surfaced and thought that the LED conversion might produce a more focused beam. It did and the particles weren't as obtrusive, mostly in the direct beam. However the bottom was only a percentage visible in comparison.

IMHO LED's are great for more focused spotlights. If you want a more broad view and are in waters with visibility of around 20 feet and greater I'd stick with the halogens. I haven't used a "HID" and from other reviews it may be better than the LED's in the focus and have the intensity of a halogen.

I'd shop around. See which lights you can operate WITH THE THICKEST GLOVES YOU OWN ON!!! I bought the UK C8 because I could operate it with all the different styles of gloves I own...including my snow mits. This may seem like overkill but you know you'll be able to operate the light in extremely bad conditions as well as normal use. If the length of burn time is an issue use recyclable battery packs(if it comes with that option) or change the batteries to rechargable or just get used to carrying extra batteries(alot for C8 lights).

Any thoughts on the comparison a few post back between the new shockwave and the UK C8 Led ?

My thought is that Photoshop analysis of a JPG is a far far cry from an accurate luminescence analysis, and I would pay zero attention to anything I found there.

I went back to the unaltered picture, the shockwave halogen has blown out the pixels show as pure white. (255.255.255). The LED did not. (240,255,255). So I guess it's really Sod all diffference ? Care to do a looney essence analysis and let us know ?

Seriously though,

This week I'll order a dive lamp.

For my requirements it seems that i'm down to a

shockwave II. (better than a UKC8 since you have 2 power levels)

or a

shockwave LED. 3 x Luexon Leds. again 2 power levels. better batter life, indestructible, bluer light.

I'd considered a UK Light Canon, but I think it would be a little fragile for my liking.
And blowing a bulb is expensive.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ShockWave Led.

And in the stuff I'll be diving in, you can't see much further than 6-10 meters regardless of your lamp.

I'd love to take them underwater side by side, for a few different dives, day and night,
murky and clear water...

D

pants!:
My thought is that Photoshop analysis of a JPG is a far far cry from an accurate luminescence analysis, and I would pay zero attention to anything I found there.

I like the controls on the UK light over the Princeton Tec. I took my set up to a dive shop nearby that carries the new led Princeton Tec LED and I believe they were just about equal. If anyone has a lighting meter(professional photographer) please conpare the lumens at 20 feet...that'd be a good distance iny book.

Hmm - from a price comparison standpoint - the UK light cannon is much better. For $159 (scubatoys, ebay, etc) you can get 470 lumens of output!! The Princeton light does kick arse - but it costs $100, and only puts out max 170 lumens - according to their web site.....For $50 or so dollars more, you can get a much brighter light that will shine much further due to the inherent nature of LEDs....

Back
Top Bottom