Leaving gear in a cold car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
I want to go diving after work and leave my gear in the car during the day. The weather is between 10-20degF.

Should all of the gear (BCD, Regs, etc..) be fine being left in those temperatures?

Note:The gear will have time to warm up while I drive (about an hour) to the dive site.

I have and experienced no issues. Been freezing gear twenty years. To give an idea of perspective: last spring during the trauma therapy program we had a rough total of 670 freeze and thawing cycles spread over 12 sets of student equipment and no failures. Much of the equipment circa 1970-80s.

Caution with water freezing and cracking bcd parts perhaps.

Freezing and thawing seems ok for dive gear.

Regards,
Cameron

(editing in to agree about being cautious to avoid freezing battery powered electronics and handling the gear when frozen stiff)

Last edited:
I'd want to keep the battery-powered stuff warm if possible. Other than that, it's all good. Bringing in your dry suit insulation (and perhaps suit) will make suiting up warmer at this time of year in the Northern parts of the USA (and of course all of Canada).

A while back I asked if hanging a wetsuit in our non-heated boat house over night in below freezing temps. was wise. Most said don't worry about it. Several did say that constant freezing and thawing could affect the integrity of the 7 mil suit. Of course, I'm talking about after the dive with the suit being wet. This time of year I hang it in the house just in case. If your stuff is dry in the car I wouldn't think even severely cold weather would affect it. But, I wouldn't do that if I still lived in Thompson, Manitoba at -40 C/F.

the only thng I can think of is not moving it around/flexing it when it's very cold. Things that are playable when warm can get brittle when very cold, esp when also wet.

As a followup I left my gear in the car all of today, and the gear all worked normally this evening for the dive.

Hi all
I want to go diving after work and leave my gear in the car during the day. The weather is between 10-20degF.

Should all of the gear (BCD, Regs, etc..) be fine being left in those temperatures?

Note:The gear will have time to warm up while I drive (about an hour) to the dive site.
I've left my gear in the car in much colder weather far too many times. I've seen a lot of gear stored in unheated garages too.

Caution with water freezing and cracking bcd parts perhaps.

Funny story.
I once left my doubles with wing and everything assembled in a car overnight. Some water collected at the elbow where the corrugated hose attaches to the wing and froze, which of course blocked the air when I tried to inflate it in the morning. It would appear corrugated hoses can't withstand ten bars of pressure. Who knew!? :facepalm:

The bang was quite spectacular though! :)

Back
Top Bottom