Leaving for St Maarten May 1 - Looking for dive op recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From there you would go counterclockwise around the island to get to Grand Case where Octopus is (i.e., up the east side past Orient Bay). If you go that way there isn't any traffic. The places where you hit traffic on the island are Philipsburg, Simpson Bay and Marigot and you wouldn't have to go through any of them.

Generally speaking, the better reefs are on the French side, especially around Tintamarre, which is a small islet to the north. There are more wrecks on the Dutch side, but the reefs are not in such great shape. I'm not sure if it is the amount of development there or dredging for the cruise ships. Octopus goes to sites on both sides, but we mostly do the Dutch side for wrecks. Dutch side ops can dive both sides as well, but I've rarely seen them on the French side and I've never seen any of their boats at Tintamarre. Octopus doesn't do a shark feeding dive. I've never been out with Dive Safaris, but Bobby is a good guy.

Spotted eagle rays and turtles are the only big things we see regularly. Occasionally we'll see nurse sharks or a reef shark. In the last month or so there have been three times when dolphins have come by when we are diving, which is amazing, but I wouldn't count on it. Humpbacks are also here right now, but I've only heard them underwater and seen them from the boat.

No customs and you can drive the whole island in 30 minutes (if they're not doing construction on the bridge).

This I would love to see since you can sit for 30 or more waiting a bridge opening during season or on the road to P-burg or driving the one ways in Marigot.... Customs? You are lucky if you realize you've crossed from Dutch to French and back again, though there are markers. Unless something has changed in the last year or so, from Oyster you are going to have to drive to find a dive op. I've only gone out with 3 of the Dutch ops, so can't comment on any French side ops. Another good source of SXM info is the TTOL (Travel Talk on Line) website. Enjoy your trip!

We are staying at Diamond Resort's Royal Palm Beach in August. Which dive shop do you recommend? We are both very experienced AOW divers, plus an 8 year old want-to-be. I am assuming that dive shops go to both sides of the island?

Jersey, I agree that Docc's 30 minutes is more of a hypothetical, but if you don't have to drive between Philipsburg and Marigot (which also includes both bridges), you can drive the rest of the way around the island in less than 30 consistently.

Frostfire, you do have to drive through Cole Bay and Marigot (but no drawbridges!) to get to Octopus Diving in Grand Case, but I would still recommend them highly. In theory any shop can go to both sides of the island, but I never see Dutch side boats at the best French side sites. Octopus does more diving on the French side, but goes to the Dutch side regularly. I think this is because a) it's worth going to the better wrecks on the Dutch side and b) the reefs to the north of the island are really far from the Dutch side. It probably takes 15 min to get to Tintamarre from Grand Case and about 20 minutes to the wrecks we usually do on the Dutch side. From the Dutch side, I think it would be more than 30 minutes to get to Tintamarre, even with a fast boat.

Do yourself a favour, you are so close to Saba a daytrip would be worth your while, it will make you forget about St. Maarten diving French or Dutch side.

You can do it either way. The ferry is a little cheaper, but is also a longer trip and you have to deal with the less than comfortable ride. By plane it's a 12 minute flight and you don't need to worry about your decompression time (assuming you don't go straight from the dive boat to plane).

I have been diving for the past 10 years with ocean explorers dive center in Simpson Bay, great location, great reef and fantastic service, try them, sorry don't remember their phone # as I always showed up but I'm sure you can find them online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom