Help deciding between Curacao and St Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wtcreaux

Contributor
Reaction score
We normally dive TCI but have recently ventured to Aruba. Only 2 of us dive, the other 4 don't. Aruba had some great topside excursions but the diving was more like Roatan versus the clarity of TCI (West Cay).

We want to look at other islands (we're liking the Dutch islands).

The diving certainly appears to be better at Curacao than St Maarten but the topside may be better at St Maarten. Any suggestions?? None of us are partiers.

Or maybe another Dutch island (I like the driving on the right side of the road :wink: )

When are you leaving? I'm going back to Curacao Dec 29 through Jan 22 and then making my first trip to St. Maarten for two weeks. I'm told Saaba has much better diving than St. Maarten and is an easy ferry ride

July 2023
I love Curaçao, this will be the 6th or 7th trip Topside activities are very good, and shore diving from white sand beaches with maybe 3” waves is hard to beat

I’m told St Maarten diving is “OK” but Saba is the place to visit

Ill do a trip report before July ‘23

St Eustatius (Statia) has some great diving, but little topside except historical places and a volcanic rain forest. Divers will love it but others might be bored.

A big question is what sort of topside excursions you're after. You can visit the Sea Aquarium, ride ATVs, enjoy the beach, walk around Willemstad and more in Curacao; it's a cruise port, too.

That said, St. Martin is a busy cruise port, and it's got the excursions to accommodate that.

What sort of excursions are you guys looking for? Trip Advisor's 'Things to Do' for a given destination can let you browse options and see what's there to do.

Richard.

Richard’s question is key, what do you want topside? Curacao is going to be better for the divers. Curacao is a pretty big and long island, so you may wind up compromising on location as far as the convienience of dive ops or the diving you want, vs being close to other things people want.

Curacao and St Maarten both have lots topside, but they’re very different places with somewhat different things and different atmospheres. (The Dutch and French sides of St Martin pretty different too.)

In curaçao has anyone stayed with All West Apartments in Westpunt?Also if anyone has stayed with anyplace that is reasonable and on the water any help would be appreciated. Thanks all and happy bubbles

In curaçao has anyone stayed with All West Apartments in Westpunt?Also if anyone has stayed with anyplace that is reasonable and on the water any help would be appreciated. Thanks all and happy bubbles
I believe the only 2 options in Westpunt that are on the water are AllWest and Marazul Dive Resort, which on the eastern edge of Westpunt.
We stayed at Marazul last January and it worked great for us. Beautiful view, swimming pool, walk down the stairs to the house reef, and a shower for rinsing yourself and gear. The only true downside was not having an onsite tank rental/pickup station, which AllWest has.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom