Leaves in the Fall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I've been hopping in and out of the "local" quarries recently, I noticed that it's that time of year that the leaves begin to fall. I've run across a few of them midwater and it's a magical sight to see.

At this time of year, below the thermocline, the water is cool and clear. The vis would be pretty good except for the lack of light :D As I'm swimming along, I see the odd leaf floating in the still water, midway through it's evenutal descent to the bottom. However, in this moment, it is floating along, neutral forever. The leaf just hangs there, a glowing bright spot in the middle of a large, senseless void.

As I swim up to it, I feel like time is frozen and I am the only thing moving. I hover in front of it for a moment and I can see the yellow color is slowly losing the battle against the slow fire of time and the brown, tannic spots that will eventually consume it. I might grab it and tow it along for a few kicks, as I turn it over to examine the pattern of color as the life drains out of it. Then I'll release it so that it can continue it's imperceptible descent.

It's a great time of the year to dive... get out there while you can.

Your very lucky to have the fall colors....in my area it pretty much goes from the green of summer to dead brown and fallen...not much color with the exception of a few trees now and then.

Back
Top Bottom