Leatherneck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemano:
If you dive like this you are selfish and if you defend this kind of diving you are selfish. Everybody does selfish things, the good ones regret it and try to be a better person next time.
And some of us set themselves up as the morale police and decide who is selfish and who isn't.

Judging is so easy isn't it? :)

I understand his point, but I am not telling somebody they cannot sit in the plane.

You have to choose your battles, and I prefer to take on the octopi molesters.

Poking them, pulling them out of their nests...that bothers me, unless its dinner. Everybody has something that irks them. So, if he wants to come over here and make that his cause...I'd comply. But I don't plan on sitting out there all day and tell divers they can't.

Catherine, I need to say that I've never seen "men and equipment" pictures that were taken by a woman that are as good as yours. Very few females seem to have an interest or feel for that kind of photography. I really enjoy yours, please post often.

No big deal . . .they sat in the Corsair's cockpit like I did, pretending to be WWII Marine Aviator Ace and Medal of Honor Hero Pappy Boyington. Just Marines being Marines, let 'em have fun!:wink: --it's essentially "their" Fighter Plane anyway. . .

You DO have excellent skills with a camera, I always enjoy your photos.

And Kevrumbo is right on...that plane belonged to the Marine Corps before it went into the drink, and according to War Graves legislation passed a couple years ago, it still belongs to the Marines today. I seriously doubt any more damage was done to that cockpit by having a couple Marines sit inside it once again, than would be done by rust and natural degradation over time in one of the most corrosive environments known - the ocean.

Semper Fi, Marines!

I'm just glad I wasn't the last guy to fly it!

Beautiful photography Catherine, please post more.

Dave

halemano:
i realize that green is a minority attitude in Hawaii and respect for all life is a mostly fringe concept anywhere in the Western world but how about respectful attitudes for a historical wreck. If full size humans in dive gear continue to squeeze into the Corsair cockpit for gratuitous photos there will be much less of a cockpit for future divers to see. An inverted diver peering into a still mostly intact cockpit without making contact would show actual diving skill and etiquette.

Any wreck will degrade over time because of the ocean conditions. Are you sure it is the divers or the ocean doing the damage? I remember reading that the Doria is falling apart do to age and is not the spectacular dive it used to be back in the 90's. Now this cannot be caused by divers because it is a huge wreck and very advanced dive.

lol...thanks guys. I wasn't going to say the part about them being entitled to touching the plane, but I was thinking it. It was nice seeing them have some fun. Both men have jobs that involve a lot of pressure these days.

I do want to take more tech dive pictures. At some point I may have to get a little more "techie" to follow them around. My new fish eye should get the wreck interiors to fit more nicely into a frame...haven't used it yet.

The area gets a lot of surge from Hawaii's powerful surf....I wish the wreck would last forever, but alas, like all things, it too will succomb to entropy. (not positive that is the right term...the natural decay of the physical world?)

My daughter did a science fair project on biorusting, which is interesting.

catherine96821:
lol...thanks guys. I wasn't going to say the part about them being entitled to touching the plane, but I was thinking it. It was nice seeing them have some fun. Both men have jobs that involve a lot of pressure these days.

I do want to take more tech dive pictures. At some point I may have to get a little more "techie" to follow them around. My new fish eye should get the wreck interiors to fit more nicely into a frame...haven't used it yet.

The area gets a lot of surge from Hawaii's powerful surf....I wish the wreck would last forever, but alas, like all things, it too will succomb to entropy. (not positive that is the right term...the natural decay of the physical world?)

My daughter did a science fair project on biorusting, which is interesting.
DOn't get more techie, get snaps of them in their heavy duty Oakland Raider tech gear counterpointed against light blue water and lots of reef and fish color. The contrast will work wonders I think.

Back
Top Bottom