DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re willfully leaving out a critical variable: the weight of the gas in the tanks.

Being able to “hold a stop” while holding onto a rope (see above pic) is trash.

If you have to jackknife at the start of the dive, then you’ll be severely underweight when the tanks are empty.

Doing deco stops on a stage or not is irrelevant.

You’re acting like your methods that were done out of necessity 40plus years ago are good because you did them for a long time. They aren’t.
No point in engaging him. I have in the past and it's fruitless. He's an old dude that's set in his ways and doesn't want to hear it from us young whippersnappers. He says a lot of clueless stuff, or argues a point that's dumb till he's blue in the face. He really shouldn't be in this forum, but seems to want to just argue.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Due to some reports from this thread, the moderator team is considering whether to reinstate the opt-in requirement for the DIR forum.
Please reinstate. It's ridiculous in here now. As you know GUE, DIR, and Hogarthian are beloved by many but hated wholeheartedly by others. Usually those that hate it don't understand the philosophies and choose to not try to understand. So then you end up with what was a meaningful thread that gets turned into arguing stupid points.

Well, I decided to post on here again as a thank you to everyone who chimed in to help me. Aside from the GUE bantering, maybe someone else will find this useful some day.

I kinda wish I had first tried doubles in a wetsuit. But a mentor (who was then C2T2) advised me that if I wanted to master the full GUE configuration for a future tech route, I might as well bite the bullet and learn doubles and drysuit together. So I took a combined Doubles and Drysuit Primer (with Kyle Harmon). I found it difficult to learn both at the same time. Oh, eventually after a couple of years I got the hang of it, but it took, well, close to three years before my skills reached tech level. One thing I have discovered as I continue on the GUE path is that I learn best in small increments. In hindsight, I am curious whether I would have progressed faster had I taken the Doubles Primer in a wetsuit, spent maybe a dozen dives getting used to that, and THEN acquired the drysuit and continued from there. I definitely don't think it would be a good idea to get TOO cozy with the doubles-and-wetsuit configuration; best to move on as soon as possible.

I ended up taking the drysuit and doubles course at the same time, and I'm really happy I did. I learn well when drinking through a fire hose, and my instructor put me in a rental Santi and a set of HP133s haha. Even though I got REALLY seasick on the 2nd day, I feel that I was able to understand how the drysuit and doubles work together (buoyancy, trim, etc) much faster by learning both together. That would have taken me ages if I spread the courses apart or did it by myself.

And I'm really grateful he gave me heavy steel tanks, as that forced me to understand how the tanks interact with your buoyancy and trim simultaneously. In other words, with a single HP100, let's say, if you're a little negative in may not affect your trim that much. With double HP133s, if you don't have enough air in your wing, and you're not careful about your leg and foot positioning, you start to go head down pretty much immediately! Ask me how I know...Must have been hilarious for him to watch... :D

At any rate, that was the best choice for me. I ended up loving those HP133s! Can't wait to own a set (or something similar).

No…I’m waiting on my Nova to ship. You most likely won’t always be using AL80’s, so might be a good idea to get a Drysuit so you can transition to different cylinders and before prices go up. I think mine was under $1,100 shipped and got pretty much every upgrade and option available.
Yeah, the Nova will be my first drysuit, hands down. I'm saving up for one now.

Diving dry was fantastic! Should have invested in a drysuit when I started diving. The things you know...

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how deep the hole is…

That is definitely in my future. What do I need to do... sacrifice a goat or a chicken? A couple Hail Satans? Baptism in Wakulla Springs or Ojamo Mine?

That is definitely in my future. What do I need to do... sacrifice a goat or a chicken? A couple Hail Satans? Baptism in Wakulla Springs or Ojamo Mine?
You don't need both kidneys....

My 2 cents. I found the IANTD AN/DP doubles course very easy and the transition to doubles also very easy. However, to get my rig really squared away and rigged perfectly for tight penetrations took some mentoring from a guy with tens of thousands of penetration dives, not my instructor. Continued mentoring, in my opinion, is more important than the courses one takes.

@bakodiver391

That’s a very good point, and something I’ve been thinking about. How did you find your mentor?

Diving very deep with a wetsuit, and using only a single bladder wing could be a problem. If you intend buying your own tanks, rent some and see how your buoyancy and trim work out. If you intend renting your tanks the standard AL's seem to be the norm wherever you travel to. Being competent with steel tanks is part of the learning curve.

I prefer steel backplate for extra weight.

A dive professional, worth their salt, knows you must spit out the regulator to feel the consequences of an actual (not simulated or make believe) free-flow before shutting down the valve in a training drill.

Technical and recreational diving incidents are by default axioms of Murphy’s Law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom