DIR- Generic Learning Doubles (in Wetsuit?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best technical divers in the world (I’m not one of them) know that there is no such thing as Do it Right; they do, however, understand the consequences of doing it wrong. There were some valid persuasions on using doubles with or without a wetsuit. My conjecture is: if the OP has in fact successfully completed his fundamentals course, you would have thought his G.U.E instructor would have provided all the relevant advice. Anyone can obtain a certificate of competency; how well you perform in the field is questionable. After reading all the irrefutable evidence, I’ve come to the conclusion that since the OP has been adequately trained on using the long hose, he can confidently use his doubles on condition he does not enter an overhead environment, stays within No Decompression Limits, and works toward improving his skill levels before proceeding to an advanced level of supervised training.

An afterthought: if one doesn’t need to be exclusively trained on how to use doubles, then the same reasoning can be aforementioned when using sidemount.

The best technical divers in the world (I’m not one of them) know that there is no such thing as Do it Right; they do, however, understand the consequences of doing it wrong. There were some valid persuasions on using doubles with or without a wetsuit. My conjecture is: if the OP has in fact successfully completed his fundamentals course, you would have thought his G.U.E instructor would have provided all the relevant advice. Anyone can obtain a certificate of competency; how well you perform in the field is questionable. After reading all the irrefutable evidence, I’ve come to the conclusion that since the OP has been adequately trained on using the long hose, he can confidently use his doubles on condition he does not enter an overhead environment, stays within No Decompression Limits, and works toward improving his skill levels before proceeding to an advanced level of supervised training.

An afterthought: if one doesn’t need to be exclusively trained on how to use doubles, then the same reasoning can be aforementioned when using sidemount.
Given your lack of any technical training and apparent lack of knowledge of DIR (the forum in which you are posting), why respond at all?

No mention of a prerequisite by ScubaBoard.com that you’re obligated to have relevant dive experience and a bona fide certificate before you can comment on this thread.

:bicker:

No mention of a prerequisite by ScubaBoard.com that you’re obligated to have relevant dive experience and a bona fide certificate before you can comment on this thread.

Generally when people ask a question, especially in the technical forums, they’re hoping from advice from experienced divers who have done what they’re asking about. If you don’t have the experience, then your comments aren’t helpful.
You’re very quickly becoming more of a troll than anything else

The problem is the people who don't have him on the ignore list will still see his (bad) advise and not see good arguments from people saying how wrong it is.

And some people, unfortunately, are new enough that they won’t know how bad his advice is.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve by participating in this thread? So far as I can tell, there are three valid reasons to do so:

1) to help clarify the DIR way of approaching a specific topic
2) to learn for yourself the DIR way of approaching a specific topic
3) to refute the validity of the DIR approach on a specific topic

If it is the first, if you are not an expert on the topic, shouldn't you let someone who is an expert answer? I myself have taken a ton of GUE training and was actively part of a vibrant community of GUE divers yet on most topics, I let people who know better have the first shot at answering questions.

If it is the second, shouldn't you be asking clarifying questions rather than trying to answer questions?

If it is the third, aren't you in the wrong subforum?

This leads to a 4th possible reason - just to stir the pot. If that is what you are up to, why not just take it somewhere else? I mean, there are people who are genuinely trying to learn and you are being a barrier to that. What is the point?

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve by participating in this thread? So far as I can tell, there are three valid reasons to do so:

1) to help clarify the DIR way of approaching a specific topic
2) to learn for yourself the DIR way of approaching a specific topic
3) to refute the validity of the DIR approach on a specific topic

If it is the first, if you are not an expert on the topic, shouldn't you let someone who is an expert answer? I myself have taken a ton of GUE training and was actively part of a vibrant community of GUE divers yet on most topics, I let people who know better have the first shot at answering questions.

If it is the second, shouldn't you be asking clarifying questions rather than trying to answer questions?

If it is the third, aren't you in the wrong subforum?

This leads to a 4th possible reason - just to stir the pot. If that is what you are up to, why not just take it somewhere else? I mean, there are people who are genuinely trying to learn and you are being a barrier to that. What is the point?
The funny thing is that this is the second troll in the same thread. The first one kick started discussions for reinstating the opt-in policy in the DIR subforum only 4-5 pages ago.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom