Learn to Bounce Dive for spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
I had to hurry as I was doing research on bounce diving most of the day and needed to have dinner, so I went out and did a bounce dive to get my fish for dinner, I only needed to get to around 96' took a long shot and got a bite of him, swam furiously and pulled on spear lanyard and pulled knife and stuck it in the head, grabbed a few scallops and muscles and back to the surface in 7 mins. Dark is approaching and needed to get back in a hurry. Checked my thread and the Instructors have sent PM'S to cave diver now this great informational thread that could save many lives for understanding bounce diving is in review.

Anyways, bounce diving for spearfishing has been the proven method for bounce diving for many spearfisher's for over 40 years, and as i continue on I will introduce you to these bounce dives that are very informative in doing safe bounce dives.

Have to fillet fish and and prep it and scallops and muscles and put on bbq, and also get my single malt scoth out for a great day, a 40 year should do it, PROST

OK, seafood prep is done and grill warming up, and me to, 2 shots down.

now I have to say that when you bounce dive for spearfishing you need to just do the dives first, and I can not refer to another post now so we start at the beginning.

You need to know your basic scuba that was taught by your instructor(teacher) they are the ones that will give you knowledge in the diving. Bounce diving will be learned by experience bounce diver like myself. There are many on the board, and they all do bounce dives for different reasons. of course you are in this forum to learn for spearfishing.

Need to put seafood on grill, and another shot, PROST

I hate to tell you this, but you made a dive to 97 feet for 7 minutes. That is not, in conventional parlance, a "bounce dive" and it is well within the accepted recreational diving limits. Enjoy your dinner and your scotch ... it sounds good. I'm about throw some Ahi on the grill.

Lucky you on the ahi, and your right the actual bounce should be at least 10 mins, it was half way calm, as I came in it got worse and the waves are crashin hard now.

so as you learn to do bounce dives and be moving around at deep depths you will begin to get the effect of nitrogen narcosis, rapture of the deep, or as referred to the Martini effect and as shown I have a 72 single malt in the pic, this effect will go away at shallower depths.

Check on food. PROST

Attachments

• DSC05037.jpg
    DSC05037.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 468
This thread has relevent and interesting information that hasn't been discussed to death on this board. So I guess it will be gone soon too.

I agree weld, so lets beat it to death.

The best way to be prepared for a bounce dive is to be aware of what diving you plan to do at a particular dive site. It would be best to do a few warm up dives to understand where things are located, and where the fish generally hang out. So when in the area you are close to you can use less energy to get you to the spot for a good shot, and also to come in a casual way not to spook them, also you never want to make eye contact on said fish, at 25' away, it will be gone. Now that is here in PNW, we do have schools, yet no taking rockfish unless on the coast.

Another is no your water status, currents, tides, so you can take account so you can return where you started your descent. And how much light you need at the depth your spearing. these are contenders when deep bounce diving while spearing.

Only wimp bouncy divers made such short dives to kill fish. Real divers hold their breath.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom