Learn me about USIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My HOG Predator has seen it's share of use and abuse. I had one minor seam leak on a boot that they fixed quickly and for free and I just had the seals replaced after nearly three years and a couple hundred dives. Since seals were not covered as a warranty item I used my go to place Superior Dry Suit Repair for them. And since it was there I told them to go ahead and pressure and leak test it. They found no leaks. I don't mind the more generous cut as I use a wide range of undergarments and a little loose is fine when I can also throw on my heavy stuff for ice diving and still move just fine.

USIA are very good quality suits. USIA makes bi-lam as well as tri-lam so you have both options. I have personally owned a USIA bi-lam suit and loved it until I dove a custom made neoprene suit. The USIA folks had set out to make a super-light and affordable drysuit and succeeded. The suit felt like I was diving in a trashbag (it was that paper thin.) I thought I had the best suit even though I had test-dove some of the really high end ones.

Then I had the chance to own a custom made-neoprene suit and that totally changed my perception of what drysuit diving was all supposed to be. Sold my USIA.

If you have a strong preference for a shell suit, then I would recommend USIA over all else.

Hey Jim,

Did you have to send the suit back to HOG or USIA? My suit is 2 years old and I just noticed the seam tape that holds my right boot is separating and won't hold much longer. And the left is starting to peel a little as well.

I guess I will have to call Chris/HOG, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask you :D

My HOG Predator has seen it's share of use and abuse. I had one minor seam leak on a boot that they fixed quickly and for free and I just had the seals replaced after nearly three years and a couple hundred dives. Since seals were not covered as a warranty item I used my go to place Superior Dry Suit Repair for them. And since it was there I told them to go ahead and pressure and leak test it. They found no leaks. I don't mind the more generous cut as I use a wide range of undergarments and a little loose is fine when I can also throw on my heavy stuff for ice diving and still move just fine.

Your dealer needs to get an authorization from HOG and send it back to the factory. You'll need to provide serial number, purchase date, and dealer info so the RMA can get processed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info Jim.

I was tempted to just throw some aquaseal on it, but figured it would make things worse when the boots need to be replaced someday.

The same thing happened to my HOG suit a few months after I bought it. This is a common issue in those types of boots (I've had it happen on another brand). Just buy some seal cement and aquaseal. Add the seal cement first to get the initial seal in. Then add aquaseal over the seam to make it more durable. It will be a little more difficult to swap out boots but nothing that can't be done. And you won't be without your suit for several weeks.

I am going to hope for the best and send it in. I figure since I won't be diving next week anyway that will eat up some of the time being without a suit.

To OP, don't have experience with USIA, but if you were also asking about DRIS and their service...they are top notch. Excellent at answering questions, helping you find what is best for you, stand behind what they sell, etc. highly recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom