Learn Doubles or Sidemount first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtsfour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to venture into tech diving. I plan on learning both SM and doubles. Will learning SM make it easier to learn doubles in the future? Will learning SM teach me valuable buoyancy skills early on? What are your opinions?

It’s like comparing apples to oranges. Ya you can breathe underwater with both, but that’s where the similarities end. For my 2 cents worth back mount first.

I would also go doubles first, I think it will be easier to find experienced doubles mentors and instructors.

What's your ultimate goal?

The paths for both are dramatically different. It is easier to get started with tech with doubles, as there is no shortage of good tech instructors out there. Sidemount is another story.

There's great instructors for both. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Wrecks in Sidemount suck imo. Like tight stuff, Sidemount. Want rebreather eventually, Sidemount.

Want big stage dives with wide open caves? Back mount.

20 things to consider which will drive your decisions. I like it all. :)

I don't dive SM myself, but one advantage if you like to do a lot of tech diving while traveling is that you can bring your rigging and get a couple of AL80s anywhere. Whereas it may be harder to rent doubles.

There are other pros and cons of SM, but as Superlyte says, the type of diving you are going to do is the most important factor.

Doubles are easier to deal with off boats, SM is great in caves.

What's your ultimate goal?

eventually i want to go full cave and advanced trimix

emphasis on full cave that is going to be my primary goal for now

Like i said i plan on learning both just wandering which i should do first

IMO, doubles is easier.

Back
Top Bottom